63 5.5 fisherman prop not turning

eddiemc

Cadet
I have a 63 5.5 evinrude fisherman the engine runs fine but prop is not turning. I took the foot apart and it all looked fine.Any advice on what to do next will be greatly appreciated.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
When you pulled the shift cradle out did the collar slide back and forth,locking the forward and reverse gear?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Could be one of a few things...
Is the lower driveshaft intact? Your unit has a two-piece driveshaft, with the lower assembly acting as a slip clutch should you hit something with the prop. The spring that holds it together can break and keep the upper driveshaft from turning the pinion gear.
Is the drive pin in the propeller intact?
Is the shift handle attached to the shift rod, and by extension, the shift fork? Are the washers present on the prop shaft, fore and aft of the clutch dog?

eddiemc

Cadet
The collar did slide back and forth and lock bspeth, the drive pin is good and the shift collar was attached will need to check handle to shift rod connection and the washers you mentioned Chinewalker.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

I'm betting on the shock absorber (slip clutch)

Attachments

• photo8337.jpg
    photo8337.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 0

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If it is the shock absorber you can compress them back together and weld them.

eddiemc

Cadet
I just took the lower housing off again and I see where it looks like there should be a shear pin between the bearing on the forward gear and the lower housing, it is not there. I guess my question now is should there be one there and where can I get one if so.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, but you are mistaken. There is a locating pin to keep the bearing from spinning, but that has nothing to do with your no-drive condition. If the pin is not aligned with the bearing when you bolt it together, it will mash the pin up into the housing. You can replace it, but you have to drill the old one out. Most of those also have an oil groove.

eddiemc

Cadet
See what you are saying F-R pin is pushed up into gear case housing will have to drill out I guess.

eddiemc

Cadet
Is it going to be necessary to take the head off to get the gear case off to get to the shock absorber you mentioned F-R?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Absolutely. You will need a new powerhead gasket, a new 303355 gasket for the carbon seal assembly, a new 303347 o-ring for the same, a new gasket for the bearing plate below the water pump. And anything else that may be bad. Might as well put in a new water pump impeller too.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Common parts.-Most good " old time " BRP / Evinrude dealers would have those in stock.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Any Evinrude dealer can order parts for it---if they will. They will be a lot friendlier if you go in armed with part numbers, because they may not have the book. You can get the part numbers (and order parts) at the Evinrude site. Click the "Parts" tab and follow the prompts. http://shop.evinrude.com/