Pinging Noise

kisuke47

Recruit
Hi have a 1990 8hp evinrude two stroke it runs fine when at idle very smooth but if I rev it up there is a type of pinging noise like if I rev it up halfway there is no pinging but when I rev it up closer to full throttle you can hear it could it be out of timing or maybe something wrong with a piston? or maybe old fuel also I was running while in neutral.

NicoPags

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome to iBoats kisuke47. Right off the bat, the forum members would most likely want to know the model number of your Outboard.
Did you have it running in open water, tank, or the muffs/ears? Have you done any preliminary checks or just ran it and heard the ping? Does the ping sound more like a ping and ring (like that of a bell) or more of a deep tone metal on metal (compared to when you knock a wrench on your lower unit).

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Keep on reving it that high in neutral and you won't have to worry about it. How's it run on the lake ??

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The pinging your hearing is the piston skirts slapping the cylinder liner with no load, as Boobie stated keep it up and your worries will go away....

kisuke47

Recruit
When I had it on the water it ran great until the carb started messing up I rebuilt the carb and it ran fine but started messing up again was running it in a barrel of water to test it it started dying so I revved it up to try and keep it going that's when I heard the pinging noise I thought something may have been wrong with the pistons im not very good with boat motors so no revving it while in neutral good to know.

NicoPags

Petty Officer 1st Class
Rule of thumb is not to Rev any type of motor in neutral excessively. They are built to be under load at hi rpm but it's ok you come here to learn right.