A need a tiller extension handle..........

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got a late 80's Evinrude 4.5 as a trolling motor on my Grumman 19 SF fishing boat.
I haven't tried it yet,
But, I can tell given the length of the tiller handle and the way the boat is built, I have to sit? lean? back to steer and throttle.
Is there a extension I can stick on it , may 18" to 2'????
If so where can I get it?
Joe
Just when you think it's all golden something comes up!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joe - Some have used a length of PVC pipe or a modified whiffleball bat slipped over the tiller handle for an inexpensive extension.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer
....it would be nice to be able to find an Evinrude replacement handle that is longer, but in lieu of that, I had the same problem with my kicker motor. I don't use the kicker much, but when I do I bought a 3 foot section of 2 inch PVC pipe and just force it over the rubber handle and it works like a charm. I can steer and throttle just fine.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
My first thoughts were PVC and hose clamp, but I don't want to be spinning wrenches in the water, (I found water IS a magnet, every time I do something like that, either the tools or parts end up in "Davey Jones' locker! It's a given)!
I looked on Ebay, but I believe I didn't type the correct search words in.
I've seem them for electric trolling motors, but not the gas motors.
Thanks!
Joe

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer
....yeah, I get that! BTW.....are you the same Joe Theis that graduated from Kenwood with me in 1975...??

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The whiffleball bat is perfect then. Cut it down to get a good fit and stow it until it's needed. No tools needed to jam it on the end of the tiller. If it goes looking for Davy, no great loss. Heck, it may float.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
No, I'm the Joe Theis that graduated from Scranton Tech in 1975.
You mean there are 2 of me?
Joe
Here I thought they broken the mold when they made me!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
many boats down here on the ICW have a piece of PVC and duct tape or zip ties holding it to the handle.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, it's been a while.
I ended up stopping at West marine in Watertown NY to get a support to hold up my outboard, (Everybody else had one, so I HAD to get one too)!
They had one that extends pretty tall.
It has a plastic cup in the end.
I was skeptical about but it, but bought it and brought it home to the Evinrude 4.5
It doesn't fit ALL the way in the handle, (but in time as the plastic gets warm it will), but tighten the clamp and poof it works!
Joe
What the heck! My charge cards are glowing red now! What's one more bill!
Boats are a hole in the water where you throw $$!

kat-a-tonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joe I use a trolling motor tiller extension handle on my 5 1/2 hp Johnson it works just fine and you can get them at any wal mart

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got a nice one!
Stopped at West marine in Watertown N.Y., (a dangerous place to be in)!
I need the brace to hold the outboard up on my trailer when I travel.
I saw a nice extension what extends out.
Picked it up, seems to work OK, but I can see Davey Jones getting the tighting bolt sometime during the summer!
Joe