200xp timing light flashes more than #1 cyl

toybuilder039

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1987 200xp I'm try to resurrect. I marked flywheel for tdc each cylinder. When I went to set timing I hooked light to #1 cylinder but 1 3 5 were all showing up. So I Hooked timing light to #2cylinder and 4 and 6 were showing up. I have no idea where to even start looking to fix problem any help is appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Make sure your timing light is not picking up a signal from another cylinder. If not you have a double firing pack. Replace it.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
swap them over and see if the irregular firing pattern still happens on the same cylinders or moves

toybuilder039

Petty Officer 3rd Class
They are firing irregular on both sides. I've already place a order for 2 hope it fixes prob if not I'll be back for more info

Bosunsmate

Admiral
They are firing irregular on both sides. I've already place a order for 2 hope it fixes prob if not I'll be back for more info
You have misunderstood.
They are firing different, one bank is firing 135 the other is firing 4 and 6 and not 2

Bosunsmate

Admiral
If so id change your coil ht and plugs on 2 with one on a cylinder that fires and see what happens then.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Fwiw. Generally speaking. If you've indexed the flywheel and #'s are superimposing onto each other? It means you got a bad pack.

That said. The odds of swapping packs side to side and having them display the exact opposite of their previous behavior are high.

I'm buyin a lottery ticket ...

Bosunsmate

Admiral
im thinking that either number two has a fault and that both powerpacks are malfunctioning which is why 135 and 46 arent working consistently otherwise the timing base is going nuts:kev:

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Ehh. Mebbe ...

Just so I don't get any more confused. It is firing on 1,3,4,5 & 6?

toybuilder039

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1 3 5 are showing up when timing light is hooked to #1. When to timing light is Hooked to #2. 2 and 4 show up no #6.
I have spark on all cylinders but weak on #4 switched coil and weak spark followed coil. Ordered new coil. Switched packs around with no change.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
now im confused:argue:
ok what hes saying is that at cylinder one its firing at 135 position and at cylinder two its firing 4 and 6 so my fault there
But he has changed the powerpack and that is still happening:cheer2:

Where as i would of thought that would of made it on cylinder one fire at just 3 and 5 and at cylinder two on 246:crutch:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
So to me that says timing base plus possibly powerpacks so ohmn test and etc of timing base next....:phone: