97 Fast Strike 115 gauge problems/dies suddenly

Jacob645

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, so here is a pic of the plugs in order from 1-4. #1 is the dry one. I took the carb apart a few minutes ago and sprayed carb cleaner through it. I don't think I have a low speed jet. Or else I don't know what it looks like. I cleaned out the high speed one behind the plug and there was a tiny long metal pipe passageway that sticks down into the side of the bowl that I sprayed out. Sprayed through every hole on the carb. All were clear and the bowl itself was spotless. No trash at all. I ran it afterwards and the plug was still dry. Should I mess with my mixture at all. The others all had a nice trace of oil.

290F79FF-C71C-4B65-9018-EA5EDA26E406_zps7b2dwdou.jpg

B7EE6402-747E-4EFE-A450-782105C92B59_zpsalott1v6.jpg

SparkieBoat

Captain
both 1 and 2 look lean. you need to search how to clean those carbs.. the 2 main places to clean out are your main jets which are in the bottom of your carb bowl I think. and then remove your float and needle valve and clean out that passage good. also make sure your floats are set correctly. with the carb right side up your needle valve should reach the fully closed position at horizontial with the bottom of the carb, maybe just slightly higher, but slightly. you can look at a parts diagram on most parts site to see a breakdown of your carb. lots of post on how to clean a carb. I just use a can of carb cleaner with the straw and force it through the passages.

Last edited:

Jacob645

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Would adjusting the mix screw help? I'm pretty confident that the carb is clear. Cleaned all places you listed and used copper wire through high speed jet. Would rotating the screw counterclockwise richen the mix?

SparkieBoat

Captain
yes. gently screw in one of the high speed adjustment screws on one of the good carbs and count the number of turns in. do not tighten these screws. SOFT set.
floats adjusted properly? fuel pump pumping strong and not sucking air anywhere?

Jacob645

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The float looked good. No problems with pump. It is just a few years old. My wallet remembers :(

SparkieBoat

Captain
yea.. those vro pumps are way over priced. I just rebuild the fuel side and premix my oil. but do check your high speed screws. compare the lean side to the rich side.