'56 evinrude 7520 shift shaft bushing replacement

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ok so I repaired the water pump and pressurized the gear case and found that I had two leaks before. I thought I had found my only problem in the driveshaft seal in the water pump base but the upper gear housing shift rod bushing and oring are leaking also. Does anyone know the procedure for replacement? I am assuming I need to drop the lower gear case,but can the shift rod be removed on its own or do I need to disassemble the entire gear case?Thanks-B

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Gearcase needs to come apart to remove the shift rod.------------There is a " special tool " to drive the bushing out.------You can run a 5/16-NC tap in there for 3 threads and pull it out with threaded rod.-------Or believe it or not the o-ring can be replaced without removing the bushing !

bspeth

All right. Thanks, I think I will try and replace the o without removing the bushing.

bspeth

Racer,do you want to throw me a bone on how to do that without pulling the bushing?Got the gear case torn apart and Im gonna go for parts. If its gotta come out then that's the way it goes but I would love some insight.Thanks-B

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not surprized by that response.------You take a sharp pointy thing and pick it out.---------Then you push the new one in.----------You are not the only one that has suggested that it can not be done !

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I've got some small picks and use them to just replace the o-ring. Done quit a few that way.

bspeth

That is not what I was suggesting,just don't want to reinvent the wheel.I know you guys have experience that I don't.Thanks again,I will let ya know how it goes.

bspeth

Racer,do you thread the rod into the bushing and slip a deep socket on it with a nut and washer on top for removal? I ordered the bushing as well cause it is cheaper than the shipping if I am wrong about the shift rod o ring being the bugger. I got it and might as well install it.

bspeth

Made the puller that you suggested,seemed easier than fishing that fat o ring out. New case head o ring and prop shaft seal.Lower pump housing drive shaft seal ,impeller. Exaust housing goes back on tonight, then the powerhead tomorrow.Thanks for the help.