1968 Johnson 65hp Low compression?

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did a compression test on this motor and here are the results. Cold engine Cylinder 1 -80 lbs. 2-70 lbs 3-90 lbs 4-90 lbs. Let it idle for a bit and these are the results cyl 1- 80 lbs 2- 60 lbs 3-85 lbs 4- 85 lbs. Sounds like head gaskets ? Look at cylinder # 2

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Runs fairly smooth, idles well. It run hot for maybe 30 secs. before I noticed no water exhausting from back. What about checking head gaskets?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Pulling the bypass cover lets you look at a piston and rings.--------Simple $2.00 gasket.--------Pulling the head requires a more expensive gasket !!

SparkieBoat

Captain
It probably is ready for a rebuild, but you could try pulling the head and having it smoothed then a new gasket and do a good decarb, the process is easy and outlined in this forum. you may get another year or 2 out of it but it is not going to run great. unless it has sentimental value, you can get a good 1980s model 70 HP motor for around $700-1000. check compression should be around 120. make sure you hook up and test an overheat buzzer alarm.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I'd still pull the bypass cover first. You get a better picture of what's going on.

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
The #2 cyl had a rusty blow hole through the gasket as well as several other blow bys on the other side. I'm wondering if the fellow before me torqued the heads down properly. All I see are black spots. Got all new gaskets including water jacket for $50.

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think I found the problem. as for $700-$1000 for a good second hand motor I'll have to ask my Kids for the college money back LOL Thanks Everyone.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
that head gasket wont solve your water pump issue. Better get some water flowing Inside. did u at least change the impeller on your new purchase ???

if you did..... you have a blockage...better find it !!

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Two water pipes in the lower unit one from the impeller housing and the other a return pipe. In my haste I didn't make sure the impeller pipe was in fact in the housing ,it has a dogleg shape to it and revolved a bit to the one side missing the housing port hole. So no water was getting to the heads.