1960 Evinrude 18 HP Fastwin 15032 unidentified screw !

netwrkgod

Cadet
I just rebuilt this engine...except for 1 screw! I can't seem to figure out where it goes. I'm thinking maybe somewhere on the shifting linkage or somewhere external to the motor. It's a flat top, 1" in long screw. I've attached pictures. I've checked the parts manuals and service manual, but I can't identify it.

screw-top.PNG screw-side.PNG

Please let me know if you know where this goes.

Thanks in advance.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like the screw/bolt that holds down the "cover plate" that hides the access hole to the points thru the flywheel.
Thats my guess!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Doubt that it is for that cover.---That screw is not an inch long and was never painted !!!!!

AlTn

Commander
I'll take a shot...intake manifold screw?....or, not too uncommon...a screw that wound up on the workbench from some other repair?

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Did you have more than just the power head apart? Took a quick look at my 61/18hp and didn't see anything. Closest bolts that resemble it are located just in front of item 34 and holds item 32 & 36. Taper head, straight blade but much shorter. I will have another look tomorrow when I can stand the motor up. Part # 303396

Is it a 1/4" bolt?

Attachments

• photo218940.jpg
    photo218940.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

netwrkgod

Cadet
Did you have more than just the power head apart? Took a quick look at my 61/18hp and didn't see anything. Closest bolts that resemble it are located just in front of item 34 and holds item 32 & 36. Taper head, straight blade but much shorter. I will have another look tomorrow when I can stand the motor up. Part # 303396

Is it a 1/4" bolt?

I didn't take that section apart but thanks for the try. The screw is 1". I tried to start it yesterday and discovered that the throttle is stuck for some reason so I'll be taking the flywheel off again. ..etc. The good news is that the compression is back to normal now. Two steps forward, one step back!

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One on the tiller handle looks something like that.

The tiller handle screw is tapered but it has an oval head ( at least mine does). Don't think that's it.

Stood my motor up and did not see anything that resembles that bolt on the outside.

The screw is 1" long but what is the diameter / thread? It looks like 1/4" but pics can be deceiving.

netwrkgod

Cadet
The tiller handle screw is tapered but it has an oval head ( at least mine does). Don't think that's it.

Stood my motor up and did not see anything that resembles that bolt on the outside.

The screw is 1" long but what is the diameter / thread? It looks like 1/4" but pics can be deceiving.

Yes, sorry, the diameter is about 1/4"...maybe a hair less.