Johnson VRO 4, 90 HP, leaking fuel from the VRO pump assembly

B1gM1ke

Seaman Apprentice
I recently discovered that my outboard would not start after a long Ontario winter. Upon inspection I notice that there is no fuel getting to my cylinders. I also notice that when I squeeze the fuel bulb, fuel squirts out from the top of the fuel pump on the VRO pump. Worked great in the fall. I can't really afford to spend a lot on this boat as I am retired do to a disability and get by on a fixed income so my question is. Can the VRO fuel pump be disassembled and repaired? If not I am considering removing the VRO system completely so would need info on how to do that. Any suggestions out there? Thanks

B1gM1ke

Seaman Apprentice
Actually now that I look at it I believe that disconnecting the VRO will not stop my fuel leak as I guess I still need that pump to work. I tried to upload a picture showing exactly what is leaking but I get an upload error

B1gM1ke

Seaman Apprentice
not a split hose. It is actually leaking gas out of the top of the squarish box that regulates the oil . fuel leaks out the top of that part

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
any idea why I cant upload a picture?

Easiest way is to use something like Photobucket. It's a free download and simple to use. This website doesn't like uploading pictures very well. Has to do with the program that runs this, not it's owners.

B1gM1ke

Seaman Apprentice
Here try this link to my picture please. The fuel squirts out rite where the arrows point

B1gM1ke

Seaman Apprentice
ok I figured out how to post a picture. the fuel squirts out where the arrows point. I think that squarish part rite there is what regulates the amount of oil but it is leaking gas. any ideas why that would be?

Last edited:

B1gM1ke

Seaman Apprentice
does anybody know the part number for a fuel only pump that I could put on here and eliminate this altogether? 1987 johnson vro4 90 hp. I am thinking that replacing the VRO parts will be much more costly than switching to fuel only pump and just using mixed gas

sumocomputers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
does anybody know the part number for a fuel only pump that I could put on here and eliminate this altogether? 1987 johnson vro4 90 hp. I am thinking that replacing the VRO parts will be much more costly than switching to fuel only pump and just using mixed gas

Submit a request to MaxRules to see which pump you need.

http://www.maxrules.com/fixquickquoteform.html

The fuel-only pump for my '89 70 is only $80 (I disabled my VRO already and don't regret it). A VRO rebuild kit, which only repairs the fuel side is $145. A new VRO pump is around $450. I think the fuel-only pump makes a lot of sense, and might give you some extra room too.

http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcvro.html

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Look it up for an 88 hp model of your motor.----------Fuel pump will mount directly to the intake manifold with a gasket.--The spot to mount it is there with a plug in it now for the pulse port.----Where in Ontario are you ?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
picture is useless for me.... its all black and blurry.... I still think it might be something simple as a gasket....even one you could cut yourself!! for .50 cents!!

of course for all those that blame the VRO pumps for all their troubles...going with a new fuel only pump, will be peace of mind!!!

bob

B1gM1ke

Seaman Apprentice
Racerone, I am in Thessalon which is about an hour east of Sault Ste. Marie, and thank you for the info. Bob, I do plan on trying to take it apart to see if it indeed is just a gasket issue. Heres hoping so because I would prefer to keep the VRO if I can.

B1gM1ke

Seaman Apprentice
Racerone, where would you suggest I look up the pump for an 88hp model of my engine?

sumocomputers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
picture is useless for me.... its all black and blurry.... I still think it might be something simple as a gasket....even one you could cut yourself!! for .50 cents!!

of course for all those that blame the VRO pumps for all their troubles...going with a new fuel only pump, will be peace of mind!!!

bob

I certainly would never blame the poor but reliable VRO pump for all my troubles, because she is disconnected! But yeah, a lot of people are quick to blame the VRO. I guess my problem is that you have a single part performing 2 functions, and they made it damn expensive. And not cheap to rebuild the fuel side, and almost impossible to rebuild the oil side.

Here is the thing when I read articles or posts on how reliable the VRO system is: It's reliable, right up until it decides to quit working. And unless all your other sensors are working correctly, you may not know. Premix pretty much ensures that you will never have a lack of lubrication, at the cost of not being able to vary the oil to fuel ratio. I'm fine with changing plugs more often, others prefer to keep the VRO; I don't judge. Whatever works for you, as long you feel good about it.

But yeah, I am going with a fuel only pump at some point soon, mainly because they are smaller & cheaper, but more importantly, you can rebuild them very, very cheap! And there is more room for me to get at stuff like my fuel filter.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Drove through Thessalon a couple of times last summer.---Many places where you can look up parts for the 88 hp models.---The 88 did not come with VRO and had the simple fuel pump.---Try------shop.****rude.com-------As it is all there.----Put the proper letters in there instead of the *

B1gM1ke

Seaman Apprentice
@ Racerone, 0398387 FUEL PUMP ASSY. is the pump for the 88hp, how sure are you that this will fit my boat because I am hoping you are very sure as this is a much cheaper fix assuming that I can't just fix a gasket or two to solve the problem.

B1gM1ke

Seaman Apprentice
Hey thanks for everyones help. My problem is solved. Seems the diaphragm in the fuel pump dried out and shrunk. Once I got some fuel into it and let it sit a couple days the leak stopped and we are all good. Thanks again everyone