melted ignition power pack wire

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've seemed to have lost power enough to not plane out. After rebuilding the dual carbs, still same problem. Then on a closer look I noticed the main spark wire coming from the power pack and leading up under the flywheel appeared to be melted at both spots where they are held to the motor on little brackets with a rubber grommet surrounding the wire , like your spark plug wires are kept away from your vehicles engine hot spots to prevent melting. The high intensity wire was bare and grounding to the bracket. Now I have a very faint white spark on one cylinder and nothing on the other three. Is my power pack fried. !968 V4 65 hp. Thanks Mars

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Maybe you could post a few pictures for us to see what you're dealing with. Any time a wire is melted, there is more current flowing through the wire then the wire can handle. So if that wire is going to the ignition power pack, there is a good chance it is toast. Something inside shorted out and cause more current to flow then usual. But post a picture or two and we can see things better and have ideas to why it happened and how to fix it... JMHO!

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got it up and running today , found a few more melted wires and replaced. Thanks.