Johnson 115 troubleshooting

Bolsenaman

Recruit
Hi guys, i'm an Italian bassman and i've a problem with my Johnson 115 PLSI OIS 2000 , 2001 motor.<br />The problem is that this motor run bad,it turns badly, crakle very high and it does not take turns, lessened it stretches to flood making smoke.If i change the spark plugs the problem disappears and then motor goes strongest but only in order little time to return the problem and the new spark plugs is a lot smeared of oil. <br />I use Champion QL78YC spark plugs.<br />What is the troubleshooting of this outboard?<br />Thanks for the reply and sorry for my bad English.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 115 troubleshooting

Welcome Mass - Do you have a shop manual? That is the best place to start. Next I would suggest that you do a compression test and post your results here. What is the maximum rpm that you get at wide open throttle? You might do some reading on checking timing, sync & link and rebuilding the carbs.

Walker

Captain

Agree with SoLittle, you need a manual. Check everything he mentioned and also test the recirculation valves according to the manual.

Bolsenaman

Recruit

Thanks, i dont' have the shop manual but i understand that for you this problem is due to carburetors and not for electrical equipment.<br />When i put a new series of spark plugs the motor run very good at a maximum speed of 5400 rpm , the prop is a Ballistic 21'' and my boat is a Ranger R71 17'1'' , maximum speed is 54-57 mph dependin on the water and wind condition , but this thing not remaing long and after trhee starting the problem return again.

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome Massi,<br />I'm not familure with the new engines, but it sounds like its getting to much OIL to me. I would think one of the Pros that frequent the site might be able to help. You should get a shop manual though>>it is a great investment if you are handy with a wrench.

Bolsenaman

Recruit

I can buy a manual bevcause i'm an artisan and i'm able to work well with wrench .<br />Someone know what is a good publications for my outboard? I have seen this: -Seloc Publications Johnson Evinrude Labor Guide 1980-2000- but my motor is a 2001 year, is the same of this book or something is changed in the construction?<br /><br /> <br /><br /> -

Bolsenaman

Recruit

I've solved the problem.<br />The problem was the power pack.<br />Thanks for all the reply.

Bolsenaman

Recruit

I've solved the problem.<br />The problem was the power pack.<br />Thanks for all the reply.

eduardo kang

Cadet

Originally posted by Massimiliano:<br /> I've solved the problem.<br />The problem was the power pack.<br />Thanks for all the reply.
Mass,<br />I'm having a similar problem with a similar motor, can you tell me what you did to figuire it out, which book you used?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />-e