How do I start 1969 Evinrude 40 Horse?

tink

Cadet
Hey guys, I've got a problem. I was recently given a 1969 Evinrude 40 Horse Outboard. It's an electric start with console steering/throttle control.<br /> The problem is that the whole pack of wires that come out of the engine are not labeled. There is a positive and negetive battery cable, but then there is a thick red wire, thick orange wire, and then thin brown, tan, black, purple with white stripe, green, blue, gray, and another black wire coming out as well. All have been cut and I have no idea how to try to start the motor. Are there certain wires I can hold together? Is there a way to bypass the wires and try to power the electric starter? Please help me out. Thanks. Tink

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: How do I start 1969 Evinrude 40 Horse?

Just tape off all those wires and connect the starter directly up with a pair of jumper cables. The two black wires are the kill switch wires - connecting them together kills spark and stops the engine. With them taped off, you'll have to choke the engine to start it.<br />Also, you'll have to manually manipulate the choke with the manual override lever.<br />I take it this is electric shift? With the jumper cable negative lead still connected to the block, connect the green wire to positive to put it in forward, and the blue wire to positive to put it in reverse. Do not connect both to the battery at the same time!