OVERHEATING? Still pumping water.

ECHOSIDE

Seaman Apprentice
Dumb question what is the av plate? second off the reason im checking this is cuz the engine overheated the other day while in the lake.

Fed

Commander
It's the anti ventilation plate, the big flat plate directly above the prop.
Your water pump is slightly higher than the plate so your water level needs to be even higher still.

Fed

Commander
Just covering the exhaust is not enough, type omc v4 gearcase into google images and you will see where the water pump sits.
It has to be well covered.

ECHOSIDE

Seaman Apprentice
When it was in the lake it was fully covered so its still overheating. I ordered factory t-stats and all gaskets so ill change em and see if there is any crap inside. Thanx for info.

Fed

Commander
Let us know how you go, I have to say my 1988 v4 looks as if the cover bolts would hit the pan before they were fully out.

ECHOSIDE

Seaman Apprentice
Yes that is true I talked to a marine tech and he said either pull power head out or drill holes in rear pan and then plug with body plugs. Im drillin holes. plain and simple

ECHOSIDE

Seaman Apprentice
Alright so i got my parts and was reading some other posts and i read that there is a hole that should get bored out larger. What hole is that, in the t-stats or body?
Thanx Jason

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???---Those thermostats can be replaced without pulling the powerhead off.-----------Those thermostats can be replaced without drilling extra holes in the lower cowling.-----Not sure what level of experience your mechanic has on these simple motors !

ECHOSIDE

Seaman Apprentice
Ok i got it apart without drilling or anything. New problem. Thermostats with gaskets on will not sit flush with valve body . The valve body gasket will not sit flush with them in. What should i do

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are you using factory replacement parts ?---If yes , then you assemble it the way the parts are shown in the manual and it will be OK.

ECHOSIDE

Seaman Apprentice
yes all factory parts. Will the thermostats squish flush when bolted together?

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Ok so I did some temp gun testing today. The right bank is definitely the hot side. The left bank was at about 115 deg. + or -. The right bank was at 160 to 170 deg + or - when I shut it down. The water temp was 48 deg. So thermostats? or what. any help

I had the very same problem and almost the very same temps on an older Evinrude motor that I had. It was a 1964 75 H.P. I tried the new stat and housing, poppit valve, springs and everything I could think of. The critter was the water pump. I put a new water pump shortly before having the problem of overheating, but it turned out to be defective and a chunk fell off of a few of the vanes. Probably sat in the sun in a window in some shop somewhere before I bought it. Put another new impeller in and everything was fine after I did that.

ECHOSIDE

Seaman Apprentice
OK so I finally got her out on a lake. After running for awhile I check temp and was under 140 the entire time. I did have to tighten the bolts a couple of times as everything seated but no more problems. Thank god. I will do water pump next spring for sure. Thanks to everyone for ypuryour help
This is the best forum yet.