HELP! 1986 johnson 28sp primer solenoid fuel line routing. HELP!

cline9394

Recruit
Last season on my last camping trip I broke the large nipple on the primer that connects to fuel pump out and carb in via a tee. I tried to bypass the solenoid by rerouting the lines, it didn't work. Got a new solenoid and can't remember the original hook up.
There is the large nipple, and two smaller nipples left and right, the right side has a tee in it. I need to know where the nipple above the fuelpump line goes, where the left side nipple of the primer solenoid line goes and what does the tee of the right side connect to besides the line that goes to the nipple above the carb to squirt fuel in.
So I have the nipple above the fuel pump, the two small nipples on the primer solenoid, and the nipple above and below the carb on the engine (manifold?) that I need to know the line routing for!!!
A good description or pics would be great....Thanks!!!!

cline9394

Recruit

Yes, rolmops I printed out that diagram. I know the fuel line in tees and goes to the big nipple on the primer. I know the right side nipple tees and goes to the nipple above the carb. I don't know where the line from the nipple above the fuel pump goes, nor the left nipple line off the primer, nor the nipple under the carb on the engine not the carb. If I knew what the nipple above the fuel pump was for I could prolly figure it out, same for the others. Alas I don't and can't seem to ask the right questions to get the answers.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
The solenoid is really a very small additional fuel pump that is activated when you push the start button. The electric power opens up the fuel passage into the solenoid and then,the pulses from the engine activate this tiny fuel pump. The 2 small nipples up front do most of the work.From that nipple one hose goes to the crank case and this one provides the pump energy (it pushes just air and no fuel) the second one receives the fuel from the (diaphragm)pump that was activated by the first one. This fuel is sent to the carburetor and is the enrichener.
16 provides the pulse (connect to the bypass),24 goes to the carburetor and 25 goes to the manifold. (part that your carb is attached to.)

Last edited:

cline9394

Recruit
Thankyou thankyou thankyou......Makes sense. I just needed to know how it works now I know so I won't mess the lines up again!!!

daselbee

Commander
The solenoid is really a very small additional fuel pump that is activated when you push the start button. The electric power opens up the fuel passage into the solenoid and then,the pulses from the engine activate this tiny fuel pump. The 2 small nipples up front do most of the work.From that nipple one hose goes to the crank case and this one provides the pump energy (it pushes just air and no fuel) the second one receives the fuel from the (diaphragm)pump that was activated by the first one. This fuel is sent to the carburetor and is the enrichener.
16 provides the pulse (connect to the bypass),24 goes to the carburetor and 25 goes to the manifold. (part that your carb is attached to.)

:facepalm:

I don't see how this explanation could be more wrong. As Fed says, it is a simple valve. Off, no fuel flows, on fuel flows.

The pressure to flow the fuel comes from the fuel pump. The two output nipples feed fuel to the proper place on the engne, sometimes the carb, sometimes the intake, sometimes the bypass covers. Depends on the design.

It is not a pump, and it does not require pressure pulses on the little npples at all.