1991 150 evinrude lower unit

ronuncw

Cadet
I'm putting new back to back seals in the driveshaft bearing housing when i notice a small hole that (I'm guessing here) carries oil to the bearings inside the housing? If so, then why does the first seal i install effectively cover it up ? How does the oil get to the bearings? Also, does the orientation of the hole, with respect to the lower unit, make a difference? i.e. does the hole face forward or backwards towards the prop? Thanks in advance.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 150 evinrude lower unit

okstfan....usually the first seal goes in just to the top of the oil hole. Are you sure your not pressing the seal in to far?

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ooops! your're right. My bad....it's late and I shoulda quit an hour ago. It's in too deep and i've covered the hole #$%@! BTW, Once i get the bearing housing bolted in, how much side to side movement should the driveshaft have? It seemed pretty loose before i tore it down. When i pulled the oil plug, i didn't see any filings to indicate excessive wear. How much is too much? Thanks for the seal/oil passage info.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

It'll seem like it has a lot of play but it's OK. Confounded me to the first time I ran into it.

Walker

Captain

Are we talking drive shaft or prop shaft here.

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and put a new waterpump repair kit on. Man, digging those old o-ring gaskets out of the housing was a pain! That adhesive sealant really sticks to the housing and o-ring. One more question. I'm also working on my counter rotating lower unit. When i shift (pull/push the shifter up or down into forward/reverse) gear, I cannot turn the propshaft and driveshaft in either direction. Of course, in neutral, the propshaft turns as usual, but i cannot rotate the driveshaft. Any thoughts?

Walker

Captain

Pull the impellor out and then see if you can rotate the driveshaft. The impellor is hard to turn, especially dry.

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've pulled the water pump (and impeller), removed the drive shaft bearing, associated shims, thrust washer and thrust bearing. Still i cannot rotate the driveshaft and propshaft when in forward or reverse. The shifter will go into forward/reverse, but not the shafts. Is the fact that this one is counter rotating make a difference? It seems to me that it would be the same as my other one. I've read the lower unit section on my OMC service manual with no luck. Arrrgh!