Johnson 8HP Sailmaster--Pull Cord Jammed

Jack Driscoll

Recruit
Newbie Owner: Goofed on day one as a new boat owner. Pulled starter cord with throttle in gear. Cord was jammed in extracted position. Now it is jammed in retracted position. As a result, I cannot start motor. Any suggestions on how to remedy problem? Thanks for your help.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 8HP Sailmaster--Pull Cord Jammed

Hi Tradejack,<br /> Try lowering the throttle setting. Those motors have a lockout on the recoils that prevents them from being started with the throttle setting too high. Pull the hood off and operate the throttle. You'll see a plastic doohickey (technical term) moving just under the recoil gear on top....<br />- Scott

Jack Driscoll

Recruit

Scott:<br /><br /> Thank you for your response. I will try to locate and work on the "doohickey" this Friday. When I see this plastic piece, do I adjust it somehow under the recoil gear? Perhaps I am simply recoiling the cord after I reset this doohickey somehow?<br /><br /> First boat so I am learning...<br /> Thanks,<br /> Jack

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Jack,<br /> The plastic lockout piece is spring loaded to engage or disengage the recoil depending on the throttle position. Advance the throttle too far and it locks things up. Reduce the throttle and it should kick back out and release the recoil...<br /><br />- Scott

Jack Driscoll

Recruit

Scott:<br /><br /> Thank you very much for your advice. I will try to fix the problem on Friday when I get back to my boat.<br /><br />Jack

Xcusme

Commander

FYI: :D :D :D :D DOHICKEY <br /><br />Quoted: "You'll see a plastic doohickey (technical term) moving just under the recoil gear on top...."<br />-----------------------<br /><br />Definition:[n] something whose name is either forgotten or not known<br /> <br />Synonyms:dojigger, doodad, doohickey, gimmick, gismo, gizmo, gubbins, hickey, thingamabob, thingamajig, thingmabob, thingmajig, thingumabob, thingumajig, thingummy<br /> <br />See Also:stuff, sundries, sundry, whatchamacallit, whatsis

TLanglitz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It might be important to note that while the "doohickey" you are looking for in this instance is indeed plastic .. Doohickeys in any of their many other uses might also be constructed of virtually any other substance, usually in thier solid form. ;) <br />Tom