evinrude mate 2 hp

rustytomato

Cadet
I have a 2 hp evinrude mate that I have never used before, its model # 2202M-E03850. I would like any info I can get about the motor. My main question though is about the mixture adjustment screws. Most anything I have ever used you set the mixture and leave it alone. These are on the front of the motor with all the other controls. When I was running it in a bucket to see if it was working properly I had to adjust the High speed screw depending on the rpm to get it to run smoothly. The slow speed adjustment didn't seem to do much. This doesn't seem normal to me. But with the mixture screws being so accesable with nice little knobs I wasn't sure. Any tips from someone that has used a simular motor would be great<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br />Matt C :confused:

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: evinrude mate 2 hp

First, a little info about the engine:<br />Evinrude Model 2202, 2hp<br />Year: 1972<br />Fuel/Oil mix: 50:1 87 octane gas to TC-W3 rated outboard oil<br />Spark plug: Champion J6C (J6J is no longer made) gapped at .030"<br /><br />The high speed setting must be made on a boat at full throttle. It controls the main metering jet. When at full throttle, lean the engine by turning the control clockwise until the engine starts to miss, then back off counter clockwise until it runs well, then just a little bit more.<br />Then set the low speed control. Get the engine as close to idle as you can and lean it by turning the control clockwise again until it begins to run bad, then richen it (counter clockwise) until you get the highest rpms. Make these adjustments in 1/8th turn increments and give the engine a few seconds to react to the change.<br />With this adjustment made, the high speed control may need a little tweaking again.<br />Initial settings for the carb are to turn both controls clockwise until lightly seated, and then unscrew the high speed control 3/4 of a turn and the low speed control 1 and 1/2 turns.<br /><br />Hope this explains it!

I have a replacement prop for this same motor but it must need some more parts cuz its a dif setup than the old one .Do you know what parts i need and where to get em

nwcove

Admiral

newfie1234, post a new thread, it will help you out more than trying to get info out of a different
post!