1993 50 hp Evinrude making misfire/sputter/pop noise at idle

gnrboyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1993 50 hp Evinrude that has been sitting in my garage for 4 years un-used. (I fogged the engine before putting it away and ran it out of gas.)

I am finally getting a chance to use it again so I put the muffs on it in the driveway and put some new gas (& sea foam) in the tank. It starts ok but idles too high (1500-1700 or so).

After a few minutes of idling, the tach starts to act erratic increasing to as much as 2500 and then it makes a popping noise with exhaust blowing out of the prop and the tach drops down to the 1000-1500 area. The tach starts to increase and every few seconds it sputters again. I also noticed an odd odor it seems to be creating when running. It sort of smells like bad gas even though there isn't any bad gas in the engine. I don't know if it could be just the fogging oil burning off but I have run it for probably 30 minutes or so. I would think that would be long enough to get rid of the smell.

I checked the plugs and they appear to be in good shape.

I had the carbs rebuilt about 5-6 years ago at a local chain outdoor store. It was running fine 4 years ago when I last used it. I likely will need to take this to a mechanic unless it is something relatively simple.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like it is running lean. And that is because of the RPM increasing and the spitting and sputtering. So maybe it's time to do a carb kit install. Especially if you've never done that before! Also check out the entire fuel delivery system from tank to primer bulb to fuel pump and carb(s). JMHO

gnrboyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the response.

I had carb kits put in 5-6 years ago and I don't put many hours on the boat. It ran find the last time I used it. (4 years ago) It is always stored inside and winterized in the fall.

Anyway, I tried a 2nd gas tank today and also swapped out the primer bulb but got same results.

Something odd occurred though a couple of times while tinkering with it. Instead of the high rpms, it would idle down around 1000 and then fall and eventually die. Then it would start the high rpm routine again on the next start. Weird.

If you have any other thoughts, let me know.

Thanks

gnrboyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry...typo. I meant to say it ran "fine" the last time I used it and not "find".

gnrboyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update: I took the boat out on the water this weekend and the idling issue was gone. Perhaps the sea foam that I put in the tank last weekend, got into the carbs and sat over the past week and helped clean out some of the gunk. ?? Not sure, but I am glad it is running ok now. Thanks