1970 60 Horse Johnson short to long shaft convert

craigvalk

Seaman
I stumbled on a rather incredible find that I can''t pass up. <br />I have a 1970 60 horse Johnson 3 cylinder, Model 60ES70.<br />This motor has been stored indoors since 1970 and is brand new, it's never been on a boat. I got it, changed the impeller for insurance, ( didn't need it as it turned out), and started it on the stand. It's perfect and has not a scratch on it.<br />Only problem is it's a short shaft, and I need a long shaft. I suspect the only solution is to disassemble the lower end and install the long shaft along with the extension on the exhaust housing, water tubes, etc. Is this correct? <br />I have an identical long shaft motor available for these parts, however I was hoping there was a kit or something available to lengthen the shaft without ripping apart a brand new lower end. <br />If not, guess I will just have to roll up my sleeves and dig in.....<br />Any advice gang?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Craig

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 60 Horse Johnson short to long shaft convert

Thats incredible! What a find indeed!<br /><br />I'd be hard pressed to mess with it. But anyway there used to be a company called Bay Manufacturing that made aftermarket extension kits. Dont know if they made one for that or if they're still around.<br /><br />Good luck!!