1997 25hp Johnson

skcarr

Cadet
Looking at purchasing a 1997 25hp Johnson motor, model J25TELEUM, any pros or cons for this motor.
Thanks,
Steve

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A simple rugged design.---------Made for many years and lots of used part available.-------If you buy the motor you need to install a new impeller.

skcarr

Cadet
Getting it from a dealer and haven't seen it in person yet but he has checked it all out, going to look at it in the morning. Just found this site tonight and been doing lots of reading here, didn't know that this motor was also made in a 3 cylinder model, dealer didn't mention it, from couple of posts I found here looks like maybe the 3 cylinder models had few more problems. Looks good in pics except for corner missing on fin above prop, about 2' off one corner, thinking a stabilizer fin will take care of that hopefully. Just learning the site but is there a place I can run these model numbers and get some info on the motor, like to see if I can determine if it's a 2 or 3 cylinder.
Thanks for your reply
Steve

skcarr

Cadet
Got the numbers figured out on the BRP website but nothing there as far as motor info other than 25hp, look at it in the morn!

skcarr

Cadet
Done some more looking on the BRP website and found out it should be a 2 cylinder, also looks like the part of the fin broken off contained the trim tab, will a stabilizer fin take care of this, I know the trim tab could effect the way the boat ran as far as pulling left or right??? Kinda worries me now.....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 3 cylinder motor was only made for a few years ( 96 -2001 ) as compared to the 2 cylinder motors.----The basic design for the 2 cylinder came out in 76 and lasted for about 30 years !!!----The 3 cylinder is an overbuilt machine, with a " mickey mouse " oil injection system.

skcarr

Cadet
Got it mostly figured out, dealer is fixing trim tab problem, motor looks sounds great. I had a mid 80's 25hp Mercury motor that was a screamer on the boat I had at the time, will this 97 25hp Johnson run as strong as the Mercury? I just took a 40hp jet Johnson off replacing it with the 25hp prop, jet did ok but like the responsiveness of tiller over jet and hope the prop does better job also...