battery charging hook up

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an older evinrude 25hp. I'll have to go out and get the serial number. Late seventies if I remember correctly.
Anyway, it is electric start, but I don't have any of that hooked up now. I'd like to know about the charging of a battery. How does that all work?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There would be a set of coils under the flywheel.-----Yellow wires going to a rectifier.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
If its 1977 (??) or later it should have charging coils in the stator assembly and a rectifier which will recharge the battery if hooked up

Earlier models, with points ignition, do not have this capability.

If you have a model with battery charging you should be able to verify its operation by monitoring the battery volts

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No matter what the model of your 25, if you are only using the battery for starting, it will go a long time without recharging. But in the interest of battery longevity, it should be recharged, preferably with a "smart charger" when not in use.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I do agree a battery is most happy when it is kept charged;however::
In the 60s for about 6 years we had a 61 Evinrude 18hp electric start no charger.Battery only used for running lights and starting.
It would go for several weeks of weekends before having to charge. Usually not till it began to crank slowly.Just a standard group 24 battery.
It would sit from Sunday evening to friday evening.It usually fired at about 1/2 a revolution.