Help please: Drive shaft shimming tool

inquest

Cadet
Hello,

I recently baught a Wellcraft boat with a 1997 200 hp Evinrude Ocean Pro. I baught the boat down here in Mexico with the transmission recently repaired due to a water leak; after just a couple of outings I noticed lots of fiddle in the oil and decided to take the lower unit appart again; the pinion and gears are fine but the thrust bearing, washers, shim material and upper part of the lower shaft are all dammaged; the "mechaninc" that did the previous job had replaced all of these parts but obviously didn't shim correctly.

I have the Seloc manual for this procedure and it says that I need a special shimming tool, kit P/N 393185, with gauge 328367 and collar 341440.

I have spent lots of time looking for this kit but have only been able to find the gauge on e-bay.

Does anybody know a way I could do the Shimming using only the gauge or do I absolutely need the collar and holding fixture? If I absolutely need the rest of the tools, do you know where I could find them?

Complementary question: I also need to change the needle bearings on the bottom of the lower drive shaft. The manual also says I need a special tool. I did find this kit on boats.net but it costs $270 dollars!
I found a single element of the kit on e-bay for $15 dollars ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/15108036203...49&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&autorefresh=true )

Do you know if the tool is absolutely necessary to replace the bearing? If so, do you know a way I could get buy with the single element I found on ebay? Or do you know if I could rent such kit somwhere? I will only use this once and it seems like a real waste of money to spend $270 dollars on this and here in Mexico there is no chance I will find a mechanic that has it...

Thanks a lot for your help,

Sebastian.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You can use the gauge by itself----I have the complete kit as shown.----But before that shimming tool was offered they just used the gauge by itself.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Read it in manuals that include both ways of doing this simple procedure.-------This shimming tool is a shop time saver.-----The job can be done the old way with just the gauge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Before the shim tool you had a different special shim tool for each hp unit, never just the flat gauge. The earlier tools had a ring welded to gauge which you inserted upper driveshaft bearing and measured the clearance at pinion

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If ---Inquest -------understands what is being measured here. And is a competent individual he can use just the shim gauge to measure for the shimming.-----The factory shimming kit just makes the job faster in the repair shop.--------I have the complete shimming tool and know how to use it to get the correct " mounting distance " for the gears.

inquest

Cadet
Thanks a lot for the tip racerone. In the manual that I have, there are only instructions on how to do it with the whole shimming tool. I would sure like to try and do it with the gauge only but I would need a bit more information on how to do it. Could you help me a bit more by sending instructions and/or pictures on how to do it? Where do I have to place the base of the gauge? Does the lack of using the "collar" that the manual says I need to use with the gauge change the calculations for the shimming material?

On the other hand, what's your take on the mounting of the needle bearing mounting (the one that goes on the base of the drive shaft)? Can I get by without the mounting tool?

Thanks again for your help!!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The collar is not needed to get an accurate measurement !!------You need to take the time to understand what this shimming tool assembly does !!!---Look at the videos 3 times if you must.---The shimming tool uses a collar and a preload pin to line everything up so that the gauge can be quickly used to get an accurate measurement.---With patience and care you can use just the shimming gauge.-----Hint.---the bearing and housing will support the shaft in a vertical position to get your measurement !!!---Again the tools for the pinion bearing are a shop time saver and not absolutely needed to do the job at home.----Remove the bearing with some washers ( correct size ) and 1/2 threaded rod.---Drive the replacement bearing in from the top just so that you can get the lock screw in !!

Last edited:

inquest

Cadet
Hello everybody. Just wanted to let you know how the story ended: Daselbee offered to trim my DS with the tool he owned; I sent it by mail, he trimed it and send it back. I installed it and it is running perfectly!

Thanks for all of the help you guys gave me, specially Daselbee!