coils melting????

simplydave

Seaman
1985 E90TLCOS it looks like the coils have been hot enough to make the black plastic fill drip onto the block. Is this normal or what should I check before going much further? The coils appear to be the originals.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Depending on which coils you are talking about. If it is the spark plug coils, then absolutely they need replaced and the trigger that fires them needs to be checked out before trying to start the engine to make sure there isn't some else wrong and taking them out. If you are talking about the stator coil, then check the rectifier and regulator if your engine has one. If it is exciter coil then it as well needs replace and the other ignition parts need to be checked and test as well...

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Usually an overheat will have other signs, such as severly burned paint around the head and exhaust manifold. If the paint is burned and peeling, it got hot. If the paint does not have any apparent overheat signs, then the coils failed for some electrical reason.

simplydave

Seaman
the motor starts and runs ok, but I haven't had it on the water as yet. It's the coils for the spark plugs and they aren't melted all the way, but they show drips going to the back of the block and the side of the heads. they are not the green plastic coils. Is there a test for the trigger? I will be reading the manual this evening but it does not go into much depth on the 90 hp models.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I am sure that's why boobie asked what manual. Unless it's a factory service manual, anyone else's manual needs to hit the junk pile. They cover so many models and years that they really don't do justice to any of them. Check out this website: outboardbooks.com for the real deal.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
If your engine got hot enough to melt the coils, then you may want to consider doing a compression test and maybe looking onto the condition of your pistons. Over heats are just as destructive on the inside, as they are on the outside

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have a Clymer outboard shop manual covering the 48-235 hp models 1973-1990.

As eluded to previously, take your Clymer manual and use it to start a fire next time. Take some money and buy the factory, year, horse power specific shop manual made only for your engine. I guarantee you there will be so much info on your engine that you will never ask for how things are done anymore. Because they cover everything from disassembly to rebuilding to testing every part with absolute specs and settings and even torque specifications. Nothing is left out. Lots of pictured step by step procedures to seriously help you out. So that should be your first thing you need to purchase...

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Is there a test for the trigger?
Yes but that's not the problem.

If it runs okay you might not have a problem. Well other than some nasty looking coils ...?

Mebbe somebody put some gasket sealer on the bolts and that's what yer seein?

simplydave

Seaman
well thank you very much for that response gm280. I guess I should have known it all. Jeez, that hurt.BTW, I did go to outboardbooks.com and it seems they don't have what I need either. maybe you could point me in the right direction.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
dave, I guess I was lucky because I bought mine off EBay. They were everywhere and not very expensive either. But there are also places on the net that deal in such manuals. I don't know the site addresses presently, but I am sure others do and will post the places. They do it all the time for other folks in need of a factory manual. I certainly didn't mean anything hash words towards you but merely trying to tell you in very specific words that a factory shop manual is the absolute best thing you can buy for your engine... If I offended you,PLEASE accept my sincere apology! :sorry:

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You could try kencook.com in Milwaukee WI. They produce the original manuals.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Is it just my imagination or are people getting obnoxiously over-sensitive these days ...?

James Keller

Cadet
I've tried your web sites you suggested for an OEM manual and I got nothing... Any other suggestions??

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Contact the website directly by contacting the Ken Cook company in Milwaukee. These folks have been printing the OMC/Bombardier service, parts manuals for 50+ years. If you don't see what you need on their website, call them. They are good folks to deal with. 414-466-6060

simplydave

Seaman
thanks, I'll give them a call. I had checked ebay and Ken Cook but came up short as they had nothing related to the motor. I'm sorry the thread got sidetracked
onto manuals. I believe the coils were just 30 years old and after that long the epoxy got a bit warm. Motor is up and running.