Corroded internal workings on my fuel pump

Evinrudetrue

Cadet
Ok everyone I checked for a faulty fuel pump i was going across the water at WOT and it started kicking back so I started pumping the fuel bulb and it didn't resolve the problem. Today I was looking at the fuel pumps and I found my lower fuel pump cause I have two pumps but anyways the lower one was extremely corroded and the diaphragm had a hole in it. The internal workings such as springs so on wouldn't work at all so leads me to believe I have found my problem. I am going to order two brand new fuel pumps and put them on and see what happens.Will update everyone on the results. FYI for anyone who is having this problem. Take your fuel pumps apart and check them. I shined a light behind the fuel pumps found the needle hole. And found parts that should be moving freely were corroded and sticking

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You have not let us know the year, hp of this engine. Hard for us to give some valid advice without that info. Since it's a dual fuel pump engine-possible it's an older crossflow V6. The factory never made overhaul kits for the fuel pumps for that engine. You are purchasing new pumps. Good call.

Fed

Commander
You might want to take the water out of your fuel tank, flush the lines & fix the leak before you fit the new pumps.
You may also have got water/corrosion in the carbies.

Evinrudetrue

Cadet
Good thinking Fed but I've got the fuel water separator installed it gets checked regularly and my fuel tank is clean with no water that I can see floating on top of the tank and I keep my fuel filters checked regularly for dirt particles stuff of that nature. And reference to your comment about a leak prior to removing the crappy fuel pump I didnt have any leaks at all and plan on keeping it like that once I put the new pumps on,I'll be sure to check recheck and double check every fuel line on my boat. On top of that I keep a close eye on all my workings on this boat since it's an older boat I expect other things to start breaking down. I'm just glad for you guys here at iboats it's very helpful.

Fed

Commander
I was thinking about the corrosion in the fuel pumps, sounded like some water had to be in there.
The leak I mentioned was a suspected leak of water into your fuel tank.
Good luck with it.

Evinrudetrue

Cadet
No Fed I have no leaks into my tank I have no water in my tank and that's a great point tou made and yes I'm on top of that since I found the corrosion I have checked for any water source going into my tank of fuel pumps and I have found absolutely zero and Ike I said since my boat is an older boat I keep everything checked regularly. I'm pretty mechanically inclined just sometimes I come here for second opinions,and it's absolutely amazing how knowledgeable you guys are and I thank you for that.