2 stroke mixture ratio

trikerpop

Cadet
I have a 2002 Johnson 9.9 two stroke outboard on a leisure 23sl that I recently bought. It was launched at our club yesterday and I started the engine for the first time. I understood it was 50-1 so put in 100ml of oil to 5 litres of petrol. The engine started but soon just died I tried this over and over but the same thing each time. Several club members said the mixture should be 100-1 so I swapped tanks with one containing 100-1 and it started and ran with no problems. Can anyone advise once and for all what the correct mixture is. Thanks.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
See if you can Google up an owner's manual for your motor but I think it should be 2.6 ozs oil to each gallon of fuel which is 50:1 mixture. Others will chime in also.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your problems have nothing to do with gas mixture.-----It should be mixed at 50:1 and ignore those other club members !

trikerpop

Cadet
I won't have a model number until I next go to the boat. The mixture I used was 5 Litres petrol and a 100ml syringe of Motul outboard 2T 2 stroke marine oil. As I said the engine ran, reved well but after a short while just died. As soon as I changed to what I was told was 100-1 it ran fine and took me out to my mooring with no problems at all. Any other ideas?

I agree with racerone, to much oil would lead to serious clouds of smoke.

Did you shake the can to mix the oil with fuel before priming? as you might have sucked in the un-mixed oil virtually neat.

you could have a sticking valve on the fuel pipe connector, changing tanks simply freed it up.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????-------50:1 is more oil than 100:1 ---------At 50:1 this motor will last a life time and at 100:1 it will also run but not for as many hrs of reliable running.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Pretty sure your problem was with the tank not the oil mix.Fuel mix doesn't affect performance you could run 16:1 and it would just smoke more
and eventually foul the plugs. 100:1 is not enough oil for 99.9% of motors.
Most of us don't have a clue about metric measurements. If 5 liters to 100 ml is 50 to one your all set.
I guess 5 liters must be 5000ml, each liter = 1000ml.
Your motor will run for quite a while at 100 : 1 but it cost $800 when it accidentally happened to me.20+ years ago.
There are a few motors out there that are 100:1 But I don't think that would be for severe service.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is abundantly clear to me that lubrication in 2 stroke enginies is not well understood.---Most folks do not know what happens to the oil once it is mixed with the gasoline and goes through the carburetor !

rolmops

Vice Admiral
When the VRO was introduced it was supposed to variably mix the oil according to rpm needs. This was up to 1:100 ratios. It also produced a lot destroyed engines. Evinrude canned the variable and went back to 1:50 for all mixes. 1:100 is a great way to destroy your engine.

trikerpop

Cadet
Thanks all for your words of wisdom. I am going to try to ring the previous owner and ask what he used.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
See if you can Google up an owner's manual for your motor but I think it should be 2.6 ozs oil to each gallon of fuel which is 50:1 mixture. Others will chime in also.
But thats ozs per US gallon.. The OP comes from the Scottish borders

50 :1 is 3.2 ozs per UK gallon!

Scotland however like England and most of the world outside the USA uses mls and litres. As he says 50:1 is 100ml per 5 litres

Last edited:

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Its a brand spankin' new motor. I would run the first couple hours on something a little heavier, to break it in. 32:1at first would be better, then go to 50:1 Oil is the cheapest thing you'll ever put in an outboard

Last edited:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Thanks all for your words of wisdom. I am going to try to ring the previous owner and ask what he used.

Interesting to note that the BRP parts website does not list a 2002 9.9 2 stroke Johnson. I take it it really is a two stroke. if so i guess it was made in Belgium or is a rebadged Far Eastern Model

Unless this is a rebadged Far Eastern engine ( Suzuki or Tohatsu) 50:1 is definitely the right mixture. Rebadged models I am uncertain about.

Post the model number when you can as that should reveal all.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I did some more checking and found out that Johnson in 2002 only made a 4stroke 9.9 (J10TE4(L)SN) Maybe you do have the 4stroke.Check if it has a dipstick. That would explain the bad performance with 1:50 and the better results with 1:100.

Last edited:

trikerpop

Cadet
I've spoken to the previous owner and he said he always ran the outboard at 100-1

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?????------This does not solve the mystery.---Model # is ???----Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke ( Suzuki ) model.----Is there a timing belt on top of the motor ??

trikerpop

Cadet
Thanks for all your trouble. I'll be going to the boat on Easter Monday and will check these points,