johnson 130hp 2000yr (voltage regulator)

lamp

Cadet
I have a Johnson 130 h.p. ocean pro. I am the original owner of the boat and motor and I do very exstensive maintence. However, every year since I bought the boat I have had to replace the engines voltage regulator. 4 times in 4 years. The only advice the dealer could give me was to replace it as needed however I need some real advice. P.S. I read the tip someone gave regarding this particular engine running rough at slow speeds and idleing poorly, i'm going to try their solution , it sure beat the dealers.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 130hp 2000yr (voltage regulator)

Welcome!<br /><br />Lets look at the obvious first. Make sure the battery cables are all good as well as the connections. You may want to loose the wingnuts on the battery if you have them.<br /><br />Or that motor may be trapping air at the top of the block not allowing the reg/rec to cool properly. Do a search on block venting. <br /><br />Make sure the thermostats are in. If they arent its possible to lose water faster than it fills up the block. Loopers have a pretty big water cavity.<br /><br />Make sure the pump is up to par. You should get over 20 lbs fairly easily. You didnt mention what kind of boat and set up. If youre running a jackplate you may be high enough to be getting some air in with the cooling water.

lamp

Cadet

Dhadley. thank you for your response to my question. My boat is a 190 cc Sea Pro 2000 yr Model. I also have a custom hard top. I only mention that because other people have suggested that it may not be properly grounded or as you mentioned the battery cables may not be tight. As far as I can tell the main cables should not be the problem I haven't had a problem with them coming loose. One question though! Most of the time my RPM's are fine and only some of the time does my voltage meter read incorrectly , it has been mentioned in the past that both should be off when the regulator is bad. However changing then requlator will stop them both from acting up for about 7 months.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If youre sure about the battery cables and wingnuts, then I'd vent the block. <br /><br />I'm not sure what the T top has to do with the problem. The cables come directly from the powerhead to either a battery switch or straight to the battery. But I might be missing something....

lamp

Cadet

Some people have suggested that due to the amount of electronics on the top and in the electronics block attached to the top that if the fuse panel for the top wasn't grounded directly to the battery and instead for instance ( grounding the panel to the framing of the top and then grounding the foot of the top to the battery ) it may have the same affect as lose battery wires.

lamp

Cadet

Dhadley , thank you for all of your suggestions. I think I am going to implement them all , who knows you have some new ideas that haven't been tried yet and so far nothing that has been tried has worked. Unfortunately since the demise of the old Johnson / OMC co. The new owners are not very user friendly in general. P.S. you wouldn't happen to have any suggestions on which companies might have a good manual for this engine would you?

DHPMARINE

Captain

jbm, BRP (OMC) still has the best manual out there.As for your water cooled regulator... they have changed the wiring of the V6 regulators so I think battery + isn't there,only keyed battery +, as I remember.Maybe someone can say if they are doing the same on V4's<br />DHP

lamp

Cadet

DHPMARINE, do you know where I can order a BRP ( OMC ) manual from.