94 Johnson Fast Strike Alarm upon start up, sometimes

Speakrdude

Ensign
VRO seems to be working. Nice and smoky, most of the time. Only happens when cold. Pulsing alarm. (low oil, not overheat) Speed varies with rpms. Turn off engine, restart, goes away, most of the time. Sometimes, it takes a few restarts. Been doing this for a couple 2-3 years now. Trying to avoid catastrophic failure.

Speakrdude

Ensign
Oh yeah, I have the float sensor in the tank already bypassed. Went bad long ago. Isn't there a "Low Oil flow" sensor in the VRO system itself? Maybe the oil just gets thick? After running a few minutes, goes off. Usually doesn't return for the rest of the day.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
take a syringe and suck out of the bottom of your oil tank to check for water, oil floats on water, just something simple to check that would kill a motor quick.

Fed

Commander
Put some tcw3 in the tank until you get it sorted out.
Yes it has a 'no oil flow' alarm sensor inside the vro that varies with rpm.
It sounds like it's losing its oil prime and setting off the alarm until the vro pumps it up again, maybe check for air leaks on the oil suction side of the vro right back to the tank pickup.
There's also a filter in the bottom of the tank, it could be a good time to strip the tank, check it all out and fix the low level at the same time.
Please,
Put some tcw3 in the tank until you get it sorted out.

Speakrdude

Ensign
The primer bulb for the oil tank is always rock hard. I suppose I should disconnect it and make sure it actually does something?
I've had the engine apart a few different times, performing some other areas of maintenance. Should I have "bleed" the oil line after it is disconnected and reconnected? I have had the oil tank apart and cleaned on several occasions. The mesh screen filter has always been nice and clean, but I always clean, never the less.

Fed

Commander
Did you put some tcw3 in your fuel tank yet?

After working on the oil side you're supposed to disconnect the oil line at the vro pump & prime with the oil primer until no more bubbles come out, then connect the oil line and run the motor until the alarm stops sounding. If you previously marked the level on your oil tank then after some use you will be able to confirm the drop in oil level meaning that the vro is working properly.

Note: All this is done while running on pre-mix either in your main tank or in a spare portable tank.