135 Evinrude strangler what is the best route to get it running again?

SparkieBoat

Captain
I made a swap and got me a 135 strangler motor with no gearcase or carbs. I cannot find the serial number but I understand that they were produced from 1973 to 1975. I oiled it up and spun it over some then did a compression check, it was great. I then tested for spark, got spark on all 4, sprayed some gas in the intake and it fired right up. so basically I need a set of carbs, and would like to mount it onto a newer mid section that has power trim. If I can find a 1979 or newer 140, would the carbs work on it? also what would I have to do about a gearcase? I got a gearcase for a 79 and up V-4, but I think the splines might be different. can anyone point me in the right direction on a budget repair with easily accessible parts on this?? or is it just a paper weight?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You need a gearcase that shifts to forward with a DOWN motion of the shift shaft.-----Or you need to make modifications to linkages to use a newer lower unit.-----Spline is the same on all V-4 from 73 and newer up to 2000

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Won't bolt on to a newer mid.

Too bad ya ain't got the carbs. They were badazz ...

Attachments

• StranglerCarbSetup.JPG
    StranglerCarbSetup.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 0

SparkieBoat

Captain
I found some carbs on ebay...and evidently I can use the newer gearcase I would just have to reverse my controls so that forward is reverse somehow? I had heard that it would bolt up to a newer midsection with very minor alterations, can anyone confirm that? but my i guess biggest question is will the carbs off of a newer 140 work on this motor?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The shift function is not changed in the control box !--It is changed with different levers / links on the powerhead.

SparkieBoat

Captain
thanks a lot racer, I can figure that out now. do you know if it will bolt onto a newer midsection? and if newer carbs/intake from a 140 would work on it?

V153

Lieutenant Commander
It will NOT bolt up to a newer mid. The exhaust and water passages are different. As well as the bolt pattern. Trust me!

Attachments

• OMCBoltSpacing.jpg
    OMCBoltSpacing.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 0

SparkieBoat

Captain
ok if I have to use my old midsection. then will the newer style gearcase bolt up to that?

SparkieBoat

Captain
and thank you everyone for your very valuable input, i am sure that you all are saving me money and lots of time and grief. :joyous:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???????--------I think you will find that the older lower unit had 2 water tubes and the newer lower unit has just 1 water tube.----This swapping of parts just looks easy but it is not !!!!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Newer gearcase will not work at all, if your close to TN will make ya a deal on one that will.....

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
the "consumer" Strangler, which was a stock 135 and available in the 1974 and 1975 model years. This engine was a stock 20" shaft 135 with no power trim (that was an option, as it was on the standard Starflite 135). The Strangler had a blue and white paint job. This engine had very little in common with the race Strangler and Super Strangler. The Super Strangler (same as the Johnson Stinger GP with a different paint job) was first seen in OPC racing in 1972 and was produced until 1976, although "production" numbers are not known. The actual race Strangler/Stinger engines (model #KR-15m) were true racing engines; they had special blocks, porting, cranks, pistons, rods, flywheel, 8-barrel floatless carburetor, special exhaust tuning, heads, adapter with megaphone, centersection, clamp and swivel, up-down as well as in-out trim, and of course gearcases (clubfoot 14:23 ratio standard, smaller 1:1 ratio sprint optional). Nothing at all was shared in common with the production engines; even the pan and hood was different. The only similarity was that they were both 99.6ci V4 engines.

SparkieBoat

Captain
thanks Faz, I am near Savannah GA. TN is a little far for a gearcase but thanks. I guess my best route to proceed is to find a blown early to mid 70s 135/140 that has carbs and a good gearcase and hopefully power tilt. really sucks that I just cant put this head on a newer midsection and gearcase. thanks a lot for the input guys. you all are awesome. And mine is the consumer not the racing engine.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
I got carbs & silencer/air box, choke solenoid, etc for that motor. Linkage too, probly.

However. You'd be much better off sticking to Xflows '78 and up. That way virtually everything is interchangeable.

Not that you should abandon the project. Just put it on the back burner and piece it together as time goes by. Imho ...

Attachments

• 135CarbsSilencer.JPG
    135CarbsSilencer.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 0

SparkieBoat

Captain
That is exactly the conclusion that I have come to also, I am going to just store the motor and wait and see if the parts I need present themselves at a good deal. this is a reason that I usually do not mess with these older motors, I just got this thing in a horse trade, I figured it would go to the scrap yard, but with the great compression and electronics still working, even the starter is in good shape...I just hate to throw it away. I was really hoping that it would be more interchangeable.
I have the silencer/air box but I would need the carbs and linkage and the choke. I am not sure where you are located but if you are close by I may get those carbs if the price is right. I am just on a super tight budget right now and this is a motor that I do not need really at this time. I swapped a guy a good merc 150 power head for a complete 1980 85 hp evinrude that needs a powerpack, he threw in this 135 and a 140 block. thanks again guys

V153

Lieutenant Commander
If'n ya ever get around to tearin it down I'd like to see a pic of the heads. Those were posed to be some bad boys ...

SparkieBoat

Captain
I will take some pics if I do tear it down. I know the compression on the 1 and 3 cylinders were both just over 150 and the compression on the 2 and 4 cylinders was over 160, and this motor has not run in years. I am sure i will have to run 93 octane. I am going to check the compression again after I get it running. a guy on the scream and fly site has everything I need at a good price. So it looks like this motor might be running soon. :D

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
If you like the look, you can always drop that cowling on a later model (white) Johnson 140. I always thought the Strangler was a pretty cool looking motor, along with the Hustler and Sizzler models of that era...