New anode question

danacman

Seaman
115 johnson '99 J115PLEEM

Replacing anode cause of broken bolt on old one. (The one on the L U right above the prop) I ordered the bolt along with the anode and the anode doesn't have threads in it. Am I supposed to screw in bolt and the bolt will carve it's own threads? Or did I get the wrong stuff?
Anode & insert pt#436745
Anode screw. pt#341219

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
They are the right part numbers.

Surely the bolt should pass through the hole in the anode and screw into the threaded hole in the LU ?
There should also be a locking washer #307161

Last edited:

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
bolt pt # should be 331999 if im not mistaken like vic said goes all the way through anode, good luck :joyous:

danacman

Seaman
The original one is still on there and I can see that the bolt does not go through It. I just broke the head off the bolt and haven't taken it off yet.

danacman

Seaman
The hole on the new anode does go all the way through, guess I'll find out more when I break off the old one

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
The original one is still on there and I can see that the bolt does not go through It..

?????????

I bet you will have a hell of a job getting the old bolt out,

Last edited:

danacman

Seaman
However if it just went through it, it would just be there kinda loose. The old one was secure and did not move

tblshur

bolt pt # should be 331999 if im not mistaken like vic said goes all the way through anode, good luck :joyous:

tblshur

sorry about the pt#. if you have a drimel tool i would split the old anode so you have the bolt to get hold of.:joyous:

danacman

Seaman
Thanks for the responses. I went back to the web page I ordered from and it does state that "for self tapping applications use screw Pt #0341219, which is what I got. That will make cutting out the old one easier for me!!! The old one definitely doesn't go all the way through.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Thanks for the responses. I went back to the web page I ordered from and it does state that "for self tapping applications use screw Pt #0341219, which is what I got. That will make cutting out the old one easier for me!!! The old one definitely doesn't go all the way through.
Sorry I think I see what you mean.

If you have a self tapping screw then it will cut its own thread into the anode.
I was thinking it was an anode that the fixing bolt went right through to hold it in place but that is not so!

Be sure there is a good electrical connection between the gearcase housing and the anode when you have fitted it or it wont be effective