Tip on using Berrymans (walmart version) for Decarbing parts

rothfm

Ensign
Maybe this will help someone, dunno..

I recently struggled to clean a set of coked up pistons. Soaked in Berrymans for few days, lots of picking and brushing. It was alot of work. That was a month ago.

Today, I went to put some small parts in my Berrymans basket....and I found another piston I put in there over a month ago (maybe longer). Now I remember why- I had a very good condition piston, but extremely coked up. I wanted to test leaving it in longer...I forgot about it!!!

I Took it out today when I found it...I was amazed how the carbon melted off. All I had to do was brush with a nylon brush for a few seconds, rinse and COMPLETELY clean including ring grooves, and oil grooves. No damage to the material.

Wish I did This originally....I hear this version of Berrymans is not that potent. It works, but the soak needed is longer obviously.

fishdady

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I work in a auto parts store, and, actually, Berrymans is a company on it's own, not affiliated with Wally-world at all. I have used their B-12 chemtool fuel system cleaner for years. Great stuff! Researching decarbonizing my Johnnie, found they have something, similar to Seafoam, for decarbonizing, even a video comparing the two. I'm going to give it a try this year.

rothfm

Ensign
Yea, Just Berrymans brand...From Walmart. Some research indicates there may be a couple versions of this stuff possibly. Some claim how bad and nasty it is...I dont think what I bought from wallyworld is that bad or potent..Just takes a loooong soak.

I had some stuff years ago we called "gold-can", no idea what it was but it sure would have cut thru that stuff in seconds...completely illegal nowdays.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah you can't buy the really good stuff anymore. Used to be able to get stuff that would eat the piston if you forgot it for a month.

I wasn't impressed with my last batch of Berrymans. Seemed to take forever for it to do anything.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Berryman is good stuff and I'd use it without question. I have a funny (now) story about soaking carbs in cleaner. Back in the days where every waking moment I was flying R/C aircraft, We used to take the carbs apart to clean them after tons of hour on them. At that time a company by the name of Perry made a really good carb. So of course having to try the latest and greatest carb on the market looking for more speed we (the other guys flying with me) bought them. And as usual when they got gunky, we would drop them into the usual carb cleaner and come back and blow them out with compressed air and reinstall them again. Well my friend did just that and didn't think about the carb body composition. And yes as you can guess, when he came back to the carb, it was all but gone. The carb body was made out of some type plastic type material and only the barrel of the carb was remaining... It is funny now, but he lost about $45 bucks quickly...