'66 Evinrude 33 HP Ski Twin Generator

joshua27

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1966 33 HP Evinrude with the factory (I'm assuming) generator kit installed. The boat has the ammeter, start switch, control box, etc. and the motor has a Prestolite Generator installed. The generator does not have a belt so I'm curious what the part number is for the belt on this particular setup. I'm also curious if there is a way to determine if the generator is actually working prior to me spending the money on the belt.

Thanks in advance!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The belt is listed as NLA--------You could try to " polarize the generator " and see if it turns that way.----It is a good indicator of generator condition.---------What is your location ??

joshua27

Seaman Apprentice
The belt is listed as NLA--------You could try to " polarize the generator " and see if it turns that way.----It is a good indicator of generator condition.---------What is your location ??

How would I go about "polarizing" the generator? I know that it needs to turn at around 2000 RPM to work so I thought about just hooking my electric drill up to it.

What does NLA mean? I know there are a lot of various NOS belts on eBay but I need to know the part #.

yorab

Ensign
NLA = No Longer Available (from the manufacturer or distribution network); some shops may still have these parts on a back-room shelf but they can't order directly from the manufacturer. You can get NLA parts from a lot of sources, though a few parts can be very difficult to locate.

NOS = New, Old Stock; these parts have never been used and are usually in their original (sometimes deteriorating) packaging. For some items, NOS is great but for other items such as rubber and other elastomers, 50 years on a shelf will wreak havoc on their material properties.

Dan Gano (ganotech.com) is a good source for these parts. If he doesn't have it, then there is a sticky thread on this forum that lists places to get parts.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Here ya go... : www.polybelt.com 255L037 black rubber, Item # B255L037BNG

To bench test a generator:
1 Remove belt
2. Disconnect wires from generator.
3. Use a jumper wire to connect field terminal (small one) to ground
4. Connect a 12V battery Neg (-) to ground.
5. Use another jumper wire to connect battery Pos (+) to the generator Arm (large one) terminal. Generator should run slowly like a motor.
Note: This only tells if the gen is working right now. It doesn't tell if it is worn out and may conk out tomorrow.