Sticking Throttle Cable

omcjunkie

Cadet
Have a 1991 40hp Evinrude trim/tilt engine that the throttle cable sticks on the motor. I've syn-link by the service book. When I throttle back on the control box the motor remains at fast rpm and will not return to idle at one point the motor would not shut of with key removed as well as the kill switched pulled, had to flood out motor to get it to stop. I've disconnected the cable from the engine and tried to move by hand it moves a little hard and will not return to normal position. Made all kinds of adjustment and it still sticks. Motor runs great at full throttle but has problem when you pull back to neutral it stays at high rpms.

Fed

Commander
Did you do the cable rigging by the book and is the book a genuine OMC Service Manual specifically for your motor?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Fix your sticking problems on the motor first and then worry about the cables.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
take off your cable and move the throttle arm manually, making sure its free and easily moveable, im guessing you have a sticky pivot arm/cam/stator etc on the motor side.

omcjunkie

Cadet
Well worked on the motor yesterday, I took cables off the motor and found the wires coming from under the flywheel to be the major part of my sticking problems. I got the motor to run and idle. It took several attempts (sink/link) but finally got it running. With the motor running at idle (800/1000 rpm) on the hose after about 30/45 seconds or so the motor started picking up rpm on it's on with out the help of any cable movement (all cable were in the neutral/idle position) and continued to climb (5000+++) and would not shut off with key off and safety switch pulled, had to flood out carbs to get to stop. Anyone else seen this happen? Any ideas?

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
i've heard of motors running away while revving up on the hose, no exhaust back pressure. but not at idle, with the throttle plate closed. key off, kill switch pulled, sounds like dieseling

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Dieseling exactly. Excessive carbon build up in the cylinders.