Wiring 1964 28hp Johnson ignition switch

Hi all. I'm about to get this thing running, but ran into a problem with wiring my ignition switch. My motor is a 1964 28 HP Johnson model RX-12, Serial # J2455104. I have posted a diagram of how I was going to wire my switch and was told it looked correct. My only issue is that the switch I used in the diagram is like 90% of others I've seen while searching on the Internet. The switch I actually have is a bit different. The one in the diagram has poles labeled M, B, M, S, C, and A. The one I purchased has poles labeled M, B, M, C, I, and S. From what I can tell, I can treat the 'I" as the "A" on most other switches and, in my case, ignore it. Is that correct? Below are both my origional diagram and the wiring diagram from the manufacturer of the switch I have. If someone that understands this stuff can confirm my diagram looks correct and, if so, if there are any modifications I need to make using the switch I have? I would greatly appreciate it!!

Diagram:

The switch I have:

Thanks again guys!

chi_town

alldodge

Staff member
As a non-expert I say it looks correct. Compared it to several other wiring diagrams and could find nothing that gave me concern.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
"I" (ignition), and "A" (accessory) are the same thing. Proceed accordingly

PS. neither "I" nor "A" are used on your 28hp They are for battery ignition and/or electric shift. Leave it blank

Last edited: