59 evinrude 18hp carb kit

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone know the NAPA part number for a carb kit for a 59 evinrude 18hp? Or the Sierra number if they have one?

Thanks

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
The NAPA store in my area says "they don't mess with marine stuff". But thanks anyway boobie. I thought maybe someone here who did a lot of outboard work could steer me in the right direction. Never mind.

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
might check on this site, laings or Vintage outboard have bought parts from all of them. I know sierra does make a kit do not have
my catalog at work.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have tried to do business with the local NAPA store for marine parts but haven't had much luck beyond spark plugs. I would pay a couple extra dollars for convenience but I can't pay the couple extra plus a 13 dollar fee for a "special order part'. I recently tried to get a common wear plate from NAPA, it would have been about $22 and a week wait. Found it online for $4.50 shipped in 3 days. Hard to not buy online....

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea, my local NAPA only wants to help you if it's a late model auto part they can find with minimal effort. I tried marineengin and when you enter 1959 18hp evinrude NOTHING comes up. I did finally find the sierra kit on Iboats here. I did not know they had that old of stuff. Was surprised at the sarcastic first answer I got. Most guys on here are more then willing to help a fellow boater out, me included. Takes all kinds I guess.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Old, what do you mean by sarcastic ?? Down where I'm at you can get a lot of outboard parts at the local NAPA store !!!!

nwcove

Admiral
What does NAPA say when you call them ??

Yea, my local NAPA only wants to help you if it's a late model auto part they can find with minimal effort. I tried marineengin and when you enter 1959 18hp evinrude NOTHING comes up. I did finally find the sierra kit on Iboats here. I did not know they had that old of stuff. Was surprised at the sarcastic first answer I got. Most guys on here are more then willing to help a fellow boater out, me included. Takes all kinds I guess.

i have to ask.....how was the first response to your query sarcastic? maybe things have changed, but napa was affiliated with sierra.

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I read boobies response I thought he was implying I had not called them and was looking for someone to do that for me. If I misread that then my apology to you sir. The napa in my area is staffed by guys that only want to deal with late model car parts. They are of no help with marine parts. About a year ago I stopped in to order a valve grind gasket set for a mercruiser 120 I was working on. The guy looked disgruntled and dug under the counter. He then threw an old dusty catalog on the counter and said "if you can find it in here, I can order it. I have customers to help" and walked away. I know they can order the stuff, but they are unwilling to do the search. I was just looking for the part# to find it myself. I did today. If I offended anyone, I am truly sorry.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Apology excepted. I don't know where you're from but down here in FL most NAPA stores carry marine parts.

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm in Wisconsin. The other day, Monday I believe, I called my local NAPA looking for the carb kit. That day the "gentleman" that answered the phone responded "yea, we don't really mess with the marine stuff". If the NAPA in your area carries the stuff and will actually help you with it, you have a much better NAPA then I do. I just don't get a business that does not help you spend your money on their product.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are now some 3000 different models / years of outboards running on lakes and rivers.--You can not expect a NAPA dealer that gets an occasional enquiry for $15.00 dollar order to be interested or knowledgeable.--Mine gave me the catalogue and said " you know your stuff , order what you need "--That is why most areas have marine repair shops and car places generally do not touch outboards.---Outboards are just different !!!!!!!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Geez Old, I'm from WI too. What part are you in ?? I'm from the Minocqua area.

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm just north of Milwaukee, but I vacation up by you every year boobie. Hazelhurst, We stay on a little puddle of a lake called silver lake. Great fishing and boating in your area if I can get the wife and kids out of Paul Bunyan's.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Here in central NY , lots of lakes and rivers,Our NAPA stores don't stock a lot parts but get stuff from their main branch
Don't know if anyone came up with a number. 57-68 18 hp carb kit w/o float 18-7043 needle and seat 18-7094.
These kits fit a bunch of 20 hp or less down to 1.5.
About 10 or 12 years ago one of our local NAPAs got me one of their 605 page Marine products catalog ,no charge.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I know about Paul Bunyan's. LOL Used to work right across the street from it.