1988 150hp Johnson V-6 is hard to steer

stratos181

Cadet
i have a 1988 150hp johnson that is hard to steer at slow speed which is normal but its also hard to steer at fast speeds is there some kind of grease fitting somewhere that will help the problem, it has rack and pin steering. <br /><br /><br /> thanks<br /><br /> Mike

DH Zunic

Cadet
Re: 1988 150hp Johnson V-6 is hard to steer

Stratos; is it hard to steer in both directions? does it want to pull one way? Specifically the right side? I have a '91 Johnson 200GT that wants to pull to the right. I will play with the trim at a certain speed until it becomes much easier to steer. Kind of like power steering... See if that helps.

stratos181

Cadet

it really don't pull to the right or left its just when i turn the wheel it's real hard to turn i didn't know if there was a way to grease it but i will try to play with the trim next time i'm out to see if that works thanks a lot

D

DJ

stratos181,<br /><br />It is either the pivot point of the engine is corroded. Or, the cable (steering) is on its last legs.<br /><br />Heres an easy check.<br /><br />Remove the nut that conects the tilt pin (steering linkage) from the engine. Does the engine swivel freely?<br /><br />If so, it's the cable.

stratos181

Cadet

alright i will check that tommorrow and get back with ya thanks for the help

D

DJ

We'll wait to hear.<br /><br />Either way, we can help.

red10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

stratos i have the same exact motor and rack steering (had), after 16 years i think it seen its better days, i tried cleaning and greasing that arm on the motor and used a pressurized can of coolant to shoot down the cable and that helped a little.

angus63

Captain

Look under the trailer bracket for a zirc fitting (sometimes hard to spot). Pump it up with grease until fresh grease flows from the top of the pivot. Work motor back and forth until free. If it's the steering cable, use a penatrant (wd-40) on every component and then use a light lube and work it good. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it just makes it messier when you eventually replace it.<br />Good luck

groundpilot

Cadet

My boat ( Lund Tyee ) has a knob under the steering wheel that applies friction . Might check to see if yours does too . I think it's main function is to hold the motor in place when trailering , but can be used to tighten the wheel also .