1957 Johnson Fuel connector - install "O" rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyelk81

Cadet
Does anyone know how to install the "O" rings in the fuel connector for a two line Johnson fuel tank. Do you need to replace everything or just the "O" rings? What tools do you use? Thanks for the help.<br /><br />GE

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1957 Johnson Fuel connector - install "O" rings

Hi GE,<br /> I the round brass faces that the o-rings reside behind are pressed into the aluminum fitting housing. As such, you can press the brass parts out using a drill bit (blunt side into the fuel nipples). This will give you access to the spring, o-ring, etc. inside the connector. It's a very simple system and comes apart pretty easily. Work slowly and carefully, as it's not hard to torque something and crack the housing. I usually set the fitting up in a vice with a spacer to allow the brass retainer room to exit. Use the vice again to press the faces back into place when you're done. Take note of order of assembly. Takes me about 5 minutes to rebuild on of those fittings...<br />- Scott

greyelk81

Cadet

Scott:<br /><br />I assume I use the bit fron the fuel side? Or do I use it to pull or lever out from the motor connect side? Just want to be real clear!

alcan

Commander

Hi Greyelk<br />Use the bit from the hose side. You need to push the round bushings out of the aluminium housing. A spacer as Chinewalker describes might be a scocket,etc. Place this over the the face side so as to catch the bushings,springs and stoppers, on the way out. I made up a jig for this opperation. I used a small block of wood. Place the connector face down on the block. Trace the the shape of the face on the block. Use a couple of finnish nails as locator pins. Bore two holes a little bit larger than the bushings. This should look like a double barrel shotgun. Of course you place the connector over the holes, located by the pins. Then use your long skinny punch and tap out the bushing. All the contence will be caught in the holes. For assembly drill two more holes that correspond to the hose end of the connector. Then flip the connector over and set it in those holes. so as to hold it for you while you tapp the bushings back in. As Chinewalker states this is about a five min job, once you have the jig. If you go to trouble to make a jig be sure and save it along with the punch. You will be glad you did.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Alcan,<br /> I like the jig idea - I may have to make myself one of those! :) <br />- Scott

alcan

Commander

If you can,build it with an aluminium block. They look real pro.

greyelk81

Cadet

Thanks Alcan & Scott!<br /><br />I'll go with the wood!

greyelk81

Cadet

Alcan & Scott:<br /><br />I've been working for better than an hour trying to tap out the brass bushings and they are not moving! I've worked on both sides and they are exactly where they were when I started. I've gotten to the place where I'm hiting the puch way harder than I think I should, so I decided to give you guys a little call for help. I've got the blook of wood with 2 - 11/16ths holes about 1/2" deep. I've got a good impression of the front of the connector embedded in the wood. Do I need a special tol I don't know about?

greyelk81

Cadet

OK my spelling wasn't so great! "punh" is shorthand for punch ant "tol" is shorthand for tool!

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

I just picked the old rings out with a sharpened bit of piano wire, then lubed the new ones with oil and they popped in easily.<br />If the rings are as old as mine were they'll just crumble and come out in bits, be sure to get all the bits out before putting the new ones in.

alcan

Commander

Sometimes you have to hit a little harder. One good smack is all it should take. Are you sure that the bushing is not riding the edge of your hole? You have to apply enough downward presure on the punch to over come the spring and o-ring before your blow will have an effect. If you have access to a press or vice as Chinewaker suggests, try it. I like the idea better than a hammer myself.

atrent

Recruit

Hi GE,<br /> I the round brass faces that the o-rings reside behind are pressed into the aluminum fitting housing. As such, you can press the brass parts out using a drill bit (blunt side into the fuel nipples). This will give you access to the spring, o-ring, etc. inside the connector. It's a very simple system and comes apart pretty easily. Work slowly and carefully, as it's not hard to torque something and crack the housing. I usually set the fitting up in a vice with a spacer to allow the brass retainer room to exit. Use the vice again to press the faces back into place when you're done. Take note of order of assembly. Takes me about 5 minutes to rebuild on of those fittings...<br />- Scott

I have my old orings out my problem is where does one purchase new ones?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

It looks like the part number for the o-ring is 301824, check your local dealer or check on-line , the freight will be more than the part.
If you have a NAPA auto parts store they carry the SIERRA brand, part number 18-7111, have them double check the numbers.

LFF

Recruit
I bought a special tool from Brandon’s garage! So far the hammer punch has not sprung the o-rings and springs! I’m not giving up, sprayed the fuel connector with some liquid wrench over night and will try again tomorrow! The $30.00 parts part seemed like the answer but so far it hasn’t worked! My husband came to help me and he bent my rod!!! Any other suggestions?IMG_3851.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.