Johnson 90 hp - water impeller stuck on rusty drive shaft?

Fed

Commander
Check the Voltage between the battery posts at rest.
Check the Voltage between the battery posts while you are cranking it over.

Check the Voltage between the starter motor Positive post and the starter motor case while you are cranking it over.

Carry out the first 2 checks.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Great news!!!
My Johnson 90 hp v4 is alive and kicking.
I did 3 things to fix it.

Last edited:

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
yes, I took the starting motor off so I could see from the starboard side of the engine for gear linkage, but I failed to tighten it all the way. And I am glad I didn't buy any starter motor or solenoid. Money saved with repeated hard work and patience. Of course, thumbs up to you guys who helped me through this process. Iboats you Rock!!!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Why not install the proper length fuse.--------Perhaps you need to learn / understand how to use the electric primer in electric mode and manual mode instead of squirting stuff into the motor..

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
I went to launch my boat in the river again. Harbor police was there to check registration and do safety inspections. He commented about my 1974 wellcraft as a classic boat vs. almost every other boat here - shinning and almost brand new. I I had about 1/5 tank left in my 6-gallon tank. Motor died after 30 yards out of the dock and quickly drifted to the shore after 6, 7 unsuccessful attempts to restart my Johnson 90. I was able to start it again, but tons of spectators on the shore looking at me with my OLD boat and OLD motor. One guy asked whether I rented the boat and where to rent one? My rig sure looked old but I made a lot of shore onlookers envy. Luckily, I was able to restart my Johnson v4 after spraying starting fluid into the carburetor by opening and lifting my BIG motor cover out of the big engine in the back of the boat. I was able to put the cover back up while the motor was running. Had a grand time in the Potomac river. Coming in I was almost out of gas and motor died again 50 yards away from the boat ramp. 2 fishermen came by in their small Jon boat with a Yamaha 9.9 hp towed me back in.
I am ready for my next outing with a full 6 gallon fresh tank of gas. My guess of my motor died idling was because my fuel was not feeding into the motor properly due to lower amount of gas left in the tank. Maybe my carburetor was dirty too, but unsure? I premixed my 6 gallon gas with seafoam. I thought seafoam was supposed to clean my carb instead of messing it up??? what do you think?

Last edited:

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Why not install the proper length fuse.--------Perhaps you need to learn / understand how to use the electric primer in electric mode and manual mode instead of squirting stuff into the motor..

my local Advance auto shop got the 1.75" 20 amps fuse readily available, so I grabbed it instead of waiting for the proper fuse to be shipped. I know sometime in the future I will replace it with the proper shorter 3/4" glass fuse, but for now I will make do what I can get to enjoy the beautiful memorial day weekend with the nicest weather here in Washington DC. Thanks for your comments and support. I really appreciate everyone following alone my OLD OLD boat and motor.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
In this video, I replaced a small screw that was loose for the red wire behind the key but the key still would not shut off the motor. A few weeks later, I reorganized my wires in the remote control, and j-b welled my neutral start safety switch, then put everything back together. Amazingly, I was able to use my key to shut off my motor. So, I don't need to buy new key for my remote control. The point of the story is electric wires could make a lot of things fail. Don't rush to buy replacement parts when troubleshooting your motor. Just be patience and take everything apart. Clean the wires (replace them if necessary) and put everything back and you may get lucky.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do you know how the electric primer works and how and when to use it ?-------Might save you having to get the starting spray out each time !!!

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Do you know how the electric primer works and how and when to use it ?-------Might save you having to get the starting spray out each time !!!

No. I don't. How does it work? Can you please elaborate so I don't have to open the big motor cover next time when my motor die on the water. It was a little bit embarrassing when boat motor died yesterday in front of millions of people at the boat ramp - LOL. So many people were looking at me and my OLD boat and OLD motor. Amazingly the harbor police didn't come over right away to get me back to the dock. I guess he either was playing wait and see game or he knew I knew what I was doing. 1 jet skier even came over and asked "the motor won't start?" I think he was trying to ask whether I needed a tow back to the dock - LOL.
Are you talking about the primer valve (choke), the red switch on the motor, as shown in my video?

Last edited:

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
ok, my boat with the Johnson 90 hp has been running beautifully these days. My problem is the trim switch from the remote to the solenoid is not working. I need to open up the trim solenoid and trouble shoot it. I will shoot a video later. So, I have been connecting my trim cables to the battery directly without going through the remote control to trim up and down the motor.

Last edited: