Johnson 90 hp - water impeller stuck on rusty drive shaft?

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Just be sure yer turnin the driveshaft the right way ...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The key is directional , but with a keen eye it would be obvious which way it is assembled !!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You did install the pump housing o-ring as it not on housing in picture!!!!!!

V153

Lieutenant Commander
it would be obvious which way it is assembled
Obvious to most, but not all. I seen some crazy chit.

Regardless. Glad to see ya got her back together. Note to self: Never pry against cast aluminum. Has a tendency to bend or break ...

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Obvious to most, but not all. I seen some crazy chit.

Regardless. Glad to see ya got her back together. Note to self: Never pry against cast aluminum. Has a tendency to bend or break ...

yes, that was a dear lesson for sure - never pry against aluminum - silly me - lol

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
took forever to re-engage the drive shaft, thanks to a steel wire and my magnetic screw pickup with light tool. All is well. will start the motor tomorrow and check the water out of pee hole again. Fingers crossed.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
The correct way to install an impeller is to. #1 put the key on the flat with some grease.---# 2 install the impeller on the shaft.---- # 3 verify that key is driving the impeller.----# 4 lower housing onto the impeller while turning driveshaft the way the motor turns it.----Easy as can be.

I did try this order, but could not get the housing pressed into the impeller. So gave up and did it the other way. will find out if it works tomorrow. I will be toasting a Champaign if this fix the burning water out of the pee hole. If not, thermostat.

will start sealing lower unit when I get the seal kit and check water by draining the lower unit again.

Last edited:

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Mayday mayday again, no Champaign. I started my motor this pm and it ran and sounded loud as before, and the water impeller pumped water out of the pee hole for a few seconds, and then stopped. The motor stopped too. The overheat alarm started sounding from my remote control. I guess I didn't install the water impeller correctly (the direction was wrong?) or The epoxy patch of the broken wall under the impeller housing was letting water into the impeller housing so impeller stopped working. My guess is the epoxy wall was not good enough. what do you guys think?

I touched the powerhead of the 4 cylinders and they are not hot at all, but I guess I only ran the motor for 5 or 10 seconds the motor, the alarm started sounding so didn't dare to try again.

I will take things apart and check the impeller and housing when I get a chance.

Last edited:

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
the constant beeping alarm will sound as soon as I insert my key without turning up the motor. Is this correct?

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
will take apart the 2 thermostats and see whether they stuck closed? will try starting again today after work and record a video to show

V153

Lieutenant Commander
If the motor is cold you shouldn't be getting a hi-temp alarm. Check the temp sensor wiring.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Is it blowing water out the exhaust and through the gearcase?

Fed

Commander
Sounds more like an electrical problem. Key switch?
15 Seconds isn't long enough to trigger the temperature alarm. Continuous or Beep?
Simply inserting the key should do nothing without turning it.
Possible pee hole blockage after all the work you've done. Easy to check.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Like Fed said.

One more thing: It's not unheard of for those horns to go bad. I had one start beeping all by itself one day. Didn't shut up til it melted into a puddle of goo. Smoke poured outa the control box and everything. Was an exciting afternoon ... Motor was not overheating btw.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
If the motor is cold you shouldn't be getting a hi-temp alarm. Check the temp sensor wiring.

ok, I will check the tan wire from the ignition switch. yes, I suspected that too

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds more like an electrical problem. Key switch?
15 Seconds isn't long enough to trigger the temperature alarm. Continuous or Beep?
Simply inserting the key should do nothing without turning it.
Possible pee hole blockage after all the work you've done. Easy to check.

Beep sound is continuous. I will try starting the motor again tomorrow after work and record a video and report back.