1988 Evinrude 25hp cooling

mike_kern

Cadet
Last fall I put away my 88' Evinrude 25hp in good running condition. Last year I had put in a new thermostat and impeller and had no issues all year. When I pulled it out the other day, it would not suck water up. I blew air through the system and it doesn't seem to have any clogs. I then pulled off the lower unit and the impeller was still in tact. (in very rough shape due to running without getting water). Does anybody have any thoughts on why water is not getting pulled up into the impeller housing? I am holding off on ordering the new parts until I can address the issue at hand and see what other parts I may need. Any help would be appreciated!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
How or where did you run this motor the last time you used it ??

kbait

Commander
Water WON'T get 'pulled' into the impeller housing. Water pumps are not self priming, and must be submerged to begin pumping. Once pumping, the water level can drop below waterpump..like when your boat gets on plane. If you barrel tested with just the water intake submerged, but not the pump, your impeller was spinning dry, and it'll melt pretty quickly..

mike_kern

Cadet
The last time I had it on the water was early December on the Mississippi. after that I had it in the heated shop all winter. When I ran it I had the ear muffs on it hooked to the garden hose. when that didn't work I backed it into a pond on the backside of the property and it still wouldn't move water through the system.

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
More then likely replacing the impeller will solve this problem. If that is the original water pump/impeller housing, go for the entire water pump kit. The kit will have all the parts needed. The housing it's self and the lower plate it rides on become scoured over time and all those little groves worn into them cost you water pressure within the system. Even with a new impeller if the groves are bad/deep in the housing and plate it will never pump like it should. Buy the full kit and enjoy your time on the water.

mike_kern

Cadet
I just ordered the kit that comes with the housing and all. What is the trick to getting the housing off of the shifter shaft?

jasper60103

Commander
I just ordered the kit that comes with the housing and all. What is the trick to getting the housing off of the shifter shaft?

After you seperate the linkage behind the intake screens, the trick is to remove the little black keeper from the tip of the upper shift rod. You can carefully pry it apart using your finger nail. Try not to loose it or damage it.

Last edited:

mike_kern

Cadet
Got the new water pump today and put it into the boat. Instead of using the ear muffs I backed it into the pond with my atv and pulled the cord. Its pumping water like a champ now. Thanks for all the help and advise guys!