1959 35 HP Evinrude Lark, Help!s

rangerjolley

Recruit
I just acquired a 1959 Trailorboat 15 ft Sporter, with a 1959, 35 hp, Evinrude Lark. When I got the boat, the motor did not run. I have rebuilt the carb, replaced the statters/condensers/points/plugs, and have replaced all fuel lines with new clear lines. I have had it running a couple of times for less than a minute each. Each time something else has gone wrong. First it was fuel line issues, fixed those. Then I broke the throttle rod mount, fixed that. It ran for about 45 seconds, rough, then quit, it was the woodruff key sheared off, replaced that with one off another 59' Lark. Reset timing, checked plugs, one had no gap, I did them both myself, did them again. Put back together, and it ran for about 30 seconds. Broke another throttle rod mount, and sheared another woodruff key. It took forever to get the flywheel off this time. I noticed some pitting on the crank shaft where it comes into contact with the flywheel, not much, but a little, with rust. I don't have a torque wrench, so have not torqued the flywheel. I am rectifying that now. I am determined to make this work. Please help. Thanks, Matt

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove the flywheel.------------Remove the key.-------Put a thin smear of valve grinding compound on the tapers.-------Lap the tapers together to get a perfect fit.----------Clean up the compound.--------Install a new factory key.----Torque the flywheel nut to either 76 ft-lbs or 100 ft-lbs , depends on your model #------Remember to use a factory key only.----------The flywheel is located by the key but driven by the locked tapers when torqued properly.

rangerjolley

Recruit
Thanks for the help. Will the service manual have pictures of the throttle linkage set up? I think something is amiss with this one. I just replaced the bracket again.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps one or both of your " statters " is rubbing on the flywheel.---Those statters must be properly positioned !