RPM drop after carb rebuilds on 175 Evinrude

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did a rebuild on all 6 of my carbs on my 1998 175 E175EXECD this weekend. Before I did the rebuild she would run right at 1000 rpm's on the hose and about 625 in the water. After I did the rebuild I noticed she was at about 800 on the hose and haven't been back to the water yet to see where she's going to be at there. Is that something yall have run across before or do you think it's something unrelated. To be honest I took it out Friday and ran it on the hose when I got home to flush the saltwater but I didn't pay attention to see if it was at 1000 then but I am assuming it was that's what it has been at. Second question is that idle of 625 is a little low according to specs I think it says in between 650 and 750 so how would I adjust the idle on this motor? I have done them on other motor's with the linkage and all but this is a little different of an animal. The reason I cleaned the carbs is because I was having some hesitation in it at times and also when idling in neutral and sometimes bumped in forward it would die out. It would crank right up but I want it to idle right. Also when I was putting it on trailer I would get ready to gas it to get up the boards and it would die out. Again I haven't been back to water to see if carb cleaning has fixed any of these issues but I wanted yall's opinions and advice.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Take it back to the water and test it before you do anything else. Then get back to us.

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
sure will im going back this weekend my main concern would be if the idle is to low in the water is there a fix I can do on the water im just not familiar with the motor

boobie

Supreme Mariner
To do this properly you'll need a manual for your motor as all motors are different for sync and link.

Last edited:

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok I got her back in the water and it was horrible. couldn't keep it running at idle. I would have to race it a little and pop it in gear. I'm also having another issue along with that when i'm at wot or close it wants to bog down. it will do it for a minute and then kick back up then back to bog then back up. seems to do it as long as I stay at that speed. doesn't seem to do it midrange. compression is good right around 95psi on all 6. I'm getting fire to plugs. I put new wires on yesterday but haven't been back to the water. Now I talked to a mech at local shop and he showed me a screw adjustment that I could move and would idle me up. its on top of the flywheel. I'm starting to think it may be bad gas though. It sat for 4 months or so and it was not ethanol free but I added stabil and put 12 gallons of fresh in it before I went.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
check your fuel line connections, when you redid your carbs one or more may be leaky. prime the bulb hard and check all all connections very carefully. no wetness.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
You have to do the lync and sync....when you take the carbs off they need to be set back up....Without doing this it won't idle...Butterflys must be closed and there must be a small gap between the roller and bracket that moves the carb..The trick is to get the timing base moving before the carbs start to open....Then you adjust idle timing to increase idle speed...the butterflys must remained close at idle or it will never run right...This is probably the biggest error everyone one does...It is not like a car motor where you open the butterflys to gain idle speed...The butterflys on an outboard have holes in them to get air when closed at idle...start with the basics...

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok well on mine I did not mess with the butterflies on the intake manifold. All I did was pull the bowls and housing and change gaskets, float and jets and cleaned real good so would I need to do this on mine.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
If you took the carbs off you must do the lync and sync...that is the beginning point to know the carbs are setup correctly...you can go on from there if all is good...