1/2 Speed 1986 Evinrude 88 Special

While cruising around my motor cut down to 1/2 speed, 30 seconds later I got an awful knocking noise in 1 cylinder. I pulled the plug and found 1 was smashed, so I yanked the whole thing apart only to find the caged bearing @ the crankshaft (the bearing close to the split) blew out and wound up in the piston cylinder, smashing it apart. It didn't look like like the plugs fouled and besides the hammering the piston looked fine.<br />The night before it went to 1/2 speed and stalled then I turned the ignition and it fired right up and ran fine the rest of the night.<br />HELP. Im rebuilding it now but want to determine the cause before I start it up.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1/2 Speed 1986 Evinrude 88 Special

Matty...when you took it apart, were the rod cap screws lose or tight? If they were lose enough to let the bearings fly out, then I would think they may have not been torqued to specs to begin with.<br /><br />As far as it going to half speed, could be a lot of different things. <br /><br />As part of the rebuild, if that's what your going to do, clean and rebuild the carbs and replace all the fuel lines.<br /><br />Keep us posted if you have questions.

Re: 1/2 Speed 1986 Evinrude 88 Special

They were tight.However there was damage to the sides of the crankshaft where the bearing cage was rubbing and a dent where it discharged. Also when I measured it with a calaber it was worn down 1/16 of an inch compared to the other 3, with no dents. This is a used outboard so I'm wondering if it was a botched rebuild to begin with.

Ronhurless

Recruit
I have a 1992 88 spl, I rebuilt the carbs, new throttle and shift cables.. When I start out it's fine then I go to punch it an it barley planes, I had it full throttle once an then I let off b/c no wake an went to get back on an it would go over 15mph... In need of help!!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Were the roller bearings overheated (blue in color?) Can you tell if that single bearing roller was ever put inside the cage, or perhaps just inadvertently (dropped) left loose in the block during a prior assembly?