97 3hp Johnson

Dave Turner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Runs like it should at w.o.t. and then just quits. Starts back up and runs fine then it will quit again after cruising awhile. This model has the internal tank and has the pulse /vac. system with the little orange bladder in the carb inlet. (part #0324661) I pulled the bladder out and would like to know. Is there supposed to be a little slit in the end of the bladder? This one has a slit about a 1/16 of an inch in the end of the bladder that goes into the carb.
The cap is vented and I changed the coil. I hope it isn't the power pack breaking down. I had one go bad on one cylinder on a motor but still ran. This motor just shuts down right now. Thanks

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Check your spark when it quits. It jump a 7/16 " open air gap on a tester.

Dave Turner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check your spark when it quits. It jump a 7/16 " open air gap on a tester.

Only quits when I'm on the water. Running in tank it will run all day if you let it. As soon as I start it up on the water it will run fine until it quits again. It is not hard to restart either. I can pull the rope within 30 seconds and off it goes. I don't have a tester.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You can buy testers at most parts houses for around $8.00. Ignition components can act funny.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Runs like it should at w.o.t. and then just quits. Starts back up and runs fine then it will quit again after cruising awhile. This model has the internal tank and has the pulse /vac. system with the little orange bladder in the carb inlet. (part #0324661) I pulled the bladder out and would like to know. Is there supposed to be a little slit in the end of the bladder? This one has a slit about a 1/16 of an inch in the end of the bladder that goes into the carb.
The cap is vented and I changed the coil. I hope it isn't the power pack breaking down. I had one go bad on one cylinder on a motor but still ran. This motor just shuts down right now. Thanks
No there should not be a slit in the bladder!

Combined with the two little check valves, #31, on the diagram it makes a little pump like a diaphragm pump with the bladder instead of a diaphragm.

Replace that then if you still have any trouble check the sparks as advised.

Last edited:

Dave Turner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Vic, I got the kit for the carb today and it has the new bladder in it. If the old bladder limited the amount of fuel to the carb, that may be running the carb out of gas. Hope that fixes the problem. Such a small piece that can cause a big problem for sure.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????----So did the new bladder look any different than the one that was in the motor ?

Dave Turner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, the old one had a tear/slit in the end that goes in the carb. That would cause loss off vacuum and restrict fuel I'd say.

Last edited:

Dave Turner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Tried to get a pic of the defective (old) bladder with the hole/slit in it. The new one is solid, with no slit on the end, that goes in the carb.

Attachments

• photo217712.jpg
    photo217712.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 0