1970 evinrude 25 hp runs in gear but won't idle

gtcjon

Cadet
25 hp 1970 evinrude will just sputter and cough when i try to start it. It will limp along if i spray a little gas directly into the carb. Put it in forward and it will start up and run.

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1970 evinrude 25 hp runs in gear but won't idle

i would start by rebuilding the carb sounds like a fuel problem check the hose from the tank and make sure that is in good cond.

gtcjon

Cadet

I have good gas from tank to carb. Took carb off and disassembled everything looks good. Motor runs well in gear, it just won't start and idle. What am I missing?

Paul Moir

Admiral

The idle circuit of the carburetor *must* be clogged. It's passages are tiny and you cannot inspect them with a simple disassembly. Disassemble the carb, soak it in carb cleaner, and then blow out the passages with compressed air.<br />Have a look just above the throttle plate in the carb's throat. You'll see two or three tiny holes there. Those are the idle orifaces.<br />Is the carb adjusted properly? Start by turning in the idle mix control all the way in (gentle) then turn it out 1 and 1/2 turns. Start the engine and turn in the control slowly until you get the best idle. Then put the knob back on.<br />Good luck!

bmcke10

Recruit

I have the same motor with the same problem. I just wen't out and adjusted the carb 1 1/2 turns out and nothing happen. I wen't out from there and it just got worse. So I started at 1 turn out and went back in. I got just a little under 1 full turn and it runs PERFECT now! So glad it was an easy fix! Thanks for your help