1959 v4 50hp johnson electrical

joe_dirt

Seaman Apprentice
i,m trying to hot wire this boat motor to see if it runs there,s one black wire to dis and i don,t know if it,s a ground to kill the motor r 12volt batt?

alcan

Commander
Re: 1959 v4 50hp johnson electrical

Hi Joe<br />It sounds like you need to do some home work on this motor before you procede. This model uses a magnito, point ignition, it requires no battery to funtion. The electrical system of this model can be broken into three separate systems. An ignition system, starting system and sometimes a charging system. Often motors of this era did not have a charging system. The charging system was available only on the top of the line model or added to a lesser model at added expence. There is tons of info avaiable on how your systems operate. It would be prudent for you to read up and understand what you are trying to do.

joe_dirt

Seaman Apprentice

i understand what u r saying i test the dis and i,m getting a very weak spark i think it the coil because i check out the points and they look good i can,t wait till my manual comes in<br />but all there is to this motor is one wire for<br />ground<br />starter +<br />electric choke<br />and a black wire to dis

HOLLYWOOD2

Recruit

Originally posted by alcan:<br /> Hi Joe<br />It sounds like you need to do some home work on this motor before you procede. This model uses a magnito, point ignition, it requires no battery to funtion. The electrical system of this model can be broken into three separate systems. An ignition system, starting system and sometimes a charging system. Often motors of this era did not have a charging system. The charging system was available only on the top of the line model or added to a lesser model at added expence. There is tons of info avaiable on how your systems operate. It would be prudent for you to read up and understand what you are trying to do.
Alcan;<br />I would really like to do the homework on the magnito point ignition system (1988/J25LRCCA),but I don't know where to look. My husband lost his eyesight, but wants to do the repairs on this motor. So, I'm his researcher. This is the problem: sparks fine, but won't idle. I would appreciate any guidence you can give me so I may find the answers to his questions. Thanks, Mrs. Cardog Wood

rwise

Captain

On those old mag systems, I'll bet that the thing has never been opened up and the bearings lubed. Mine was very erratic until I did just that, smoothed right up.<br /><br />joe dirt, clean it up inspect the coil if it has cracks in it then replaced it.<br /><br />cardog, welcome to iboats, you really should start a new thread for yours. There is a lot of info in this forum on these and good people here to help. Sounds like you have a carb problem though.<br /><br />Richard