1975 85hp impeller shot, unseen problems?

boxchevyman

Seaman
1975 85hp Johnson.
Model: 85ESL75E

So i bought this motor from a guy that said it was ready to hit the water everything was fine. I ran it on muffs and saw water coming out the thermostat exhaust ports and thought i was golden.
I took it out that Saturday floored it and 50 yards later the overheating buzzer came on. shut it off let it cool a bit then turned around a took it out and home. Later i went looking a little further and checked some hoses. I attached a video of that. I also took the lower unit off and sure enough the impeller was SHOT and shattered.
So i am now going to buy the kit with the new housing and impeller and put all that on.
I have a few quick questions,
1. Seeing what the impeller looks like do you think i have little bits of it in my water jacket?
2. How should i clean the drive shaft so that the impeller will slide smoothly on?
3. Do you think any permanent damage was done running it hot for a few minutes?
Thanks all!
James

boxchevyman

Seaman
No Title

More pictures:

Attachments

• photo217139.jpg
    photo217139.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1
  • photo217140.jpg
    photo217140.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo217141.jpg
    photo217141.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo217142.jpg
    photo217142.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1
  • photo217143.jpg
    photo217143.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 1

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I'd say you got lucky. I don't see any burnt paint on the heads, so it probably is ok. Running hot is an excellent way of destroying pistons though. But it looks like you beat the odds.

You can clean the shaft with sandpaper. Use the black wet-or-dry kind.

Nobody can guarantee there aren't impeller chunks in the cooling system. You have two choices: Tear it all apart, looking for some, or run it as it is and hope for the best. Fortunately, most of the passages are pretty large. I'd guess if any got snagged, it would be in the thermostat area.

For anybody else reading this, what you see here is why we keep preaching replace old or unknown history impellers whether they need it or not.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You get blisters on your tongue / fingers telling folks to install a new impeller !!

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had the same with my first outboard, a Yami 9.9.
Fired it up with muff, water peed out.GREAT!
Put it on my sailboat, got ready for a good day sailing, all I need was to get to clear water...............Fired it up and waited ............. nothing, not a drop.
Took it off, pulled it apart and like you the impellar was "Reeces Pieces".
The hose water PSI was pushing water like a good impellar.
I back flushed the system just to make sure all was clear.
You got lucky, did the "smart thing" got it back home and apart.
Look at the pistons, see if they look OK with a light and a good eye, run a compression test, just for piece of mind, but I think your fine.
Now, when I buy a motor, I do a lower unit oil, impellar and tune, go through it real good on the hard.
Even if the P.O. says it OK, he's not going to be out on the water with it, he's heading to the bank with my $$!
Anal, yes, but 45 years of racing off road bikes have taught me a few things like anal care for bikes makes it to the finish!
Joe

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ive heard running muffs is a VERY inaccurate way to to test for impeller problems... makes sense since your "forcing" water in, its bound to go somewhere which would seem like your impeller is working.... I always test mine in a 55 gallon drum and let the impeller do the work.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
After you get it back together take it to the lake, run it and see what happens. Don't mess around with muffs or a barrel.

Last edited:

boxchevyman

Seaman
Just wanted to update this with the new results. I have linked to a new video showing how much the water presure has imporved. also a pic of the new impeller vs the old.