checking the rectifier on Johnson 225 hp

janvan

Cadet
I have a 1996 Johnson 225 ocean runner and when replacing batterys I hooked up the no. 2 battery back wards since the perko switch was off I didn't know it. I think I kill the rectifier since it burnt off the hot terminal to the battery. I discharged the no. 2 battery to 5 volts and started the motor with the no.1 battery ran it up to about 2500 RPM and check the battery with volt meter and it showed no change switched to the no. 2 battery and checked there was now change. Is there any other test I can do before going and buying a new rectifier/regulator for $200. plus dollars

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: checking the rectifier on Johnson 225 hp

If you get no change between not runing the motor(Roughly 12.5 Volts and then start the motor and it jumps up to around 13 or 13.5 volts, its working. If no change, it's dead. Odds are real good it's fried from the backward connection. Doesn't take long. Seconds!! Try another know good battery(Even out of your car) and see what the readings are. If it's charging, you got lucky...<br /><br />Oh yeah, bypass the perko switch and go directly to the battery for the test..