Johnson 90 hp water impeller replacement - min parts to replace?

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
what are the minimum parts that I have to replace for my 1982 Johnson 90 hp water impeller. The water peeing out of the hole is hot and the cylinders are hot to touch.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
In the first place, it is impossible to check the water pump by running on muffs. The boat has to be in the water to make any sensible diagnosis. But to answer the question, it would be wise to change the impeller if it hasn't been done lately. Anything else you decide to do is up to you.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
wow, thanks for the first class and lightening fast reply. No, bought it last May and used it more than 20 times, but didn't need to change because the water was never hot until this cold and first 2015 start after it died in saltwater on 10/3/2014

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I'd do the complete kit and then you would be done with it.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
still troubleshooting the hot peeing water problem. step 1 - change lower unit oil, step 2 - replace impeller, step 3 - replace thermostat and step 4 - inspect water valve

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Do I really need to smooth out the drive shaft where water impeller is sitting? There are 3 cuts/groves on the drive shaft and 2 of them needs to be smoothed by grinder of some sort. Sand paper will not be able to do the job. Any comment before I install the water impeller, please help cut in drive shaft.jpg ?

64osby

Admiral
Emory cloth should be able to smooth all of those out with some time and effort. You need to clean all the rust / junk off.

A new water pump may be able to keep a seal even with the shaft being undersized.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
wow. thanks for the super fast reply. I will smooth the grooves a bit today and clean the rust out a bit more then install the water pump. Anxious to check whether the water coming out of the hole will be burning hands after all the gear oil and impeller work. If not, need to check the thermostat.