changing a water pump impeller on johnson 115

duck64

Petty Officer 2nd Class
how hard is it to change for a non marine mechanic. and how much to hire it done.<br />thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: changing a water pump impeller on johnson 115

If you have a Manual and some tools, it's not a big deal. Besides, it is part of the motors maintenence every year or two. Basically, you take the lower unit off and the water pump sits on top of it. You replace the pump(No Biggie) and install the lower unit. There are tricks and such to do this, but that's why this forum is here. We will help you through these things. Once you have done it, the next time will be a piece of cake. Price varies from shop to shop for replacement and I really don't know what they would charge, as I have always done my own. No special tools needed. I would guess $150.00-$200-00. There are some shop owners on here that may tell you closer to what it costs...

bubbakat

Captain

It ain't hard to do. Get you a manuel and if you can follow instructions and look at pictures you can do it.<br />I recommend the oem manuel or the seloc

kmaglothin

Seaman Apprentice

I just did mine for the first time...Johnson GT150. My only advice is to do searches on the item in question here when in doubt...or just ask the question...it is all here and there are some VERY good people here to help. You need to read the answer to the questions very carefully sometimes the smallest detail means the most. It really isn't that hard...have the right tools and a service manual for your engine really helps. Good luck and enjoy!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

One hint is that 2 people make it a whole lot easier on bigger motors with larger lower units. One to unbolt it and one to hang onto it and also help get it back on..

kmaglothin

Seaman Apprentice

I second the 2 people thing!