do i need to buy new power pack because 1 of the 2 boots is broken?

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
do i need to buy new power pack of 1982 Johnson 90 hp outboard V4 because 1 of the 2 boots is broken?

1 power pack sends power to 2 spark plugs, so 1 of them was broken

should I replace my power pack? how do I test it to see if it is bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoIZC8phCOA

Bosunsmate

Admiral
No dont replace the powerpack, just put some electrical tape around those boots.
Also you need to take each coil off and clean it up. All those ground bolts need to be cleaned and the contact metals on them very clean. The coils need a clean ground to work. Do them all, get rid of all rust and clean the holes where they thread into as well

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
If you check out the factory exploded parts diagrams (epc.brp.com) you will find that the factory has part numbers for these rubber boots-that they are replaceable. There is a special tool to extract the pins and then re-insert them into the new boot. A little white lithium grease is helpful.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Wow, thanks a million. You guys are the best. Yes, I will take the other 3 ignition coils apart and clean them really well today. Maybe that was the reason why I lost my sparks and 1 wet spark plug hole (lower right cylinder) of my Johnson 90 hp V4 at the end of last fishing season. I was so disappointed and was hoping I could go fishing a bit longer.

Last edited:

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
I zipped tie the rubber boot and cleaned all 4 ignition coils, and to my amazement. I am getting sparks for all 4 cylinders. Thanks a lot. I am ready to go fishing again. Hooray!